African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Evaluation Officer, BDEV1
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50065426
- The Board of Directors provides oversight and strategic direction to the African Development Bank Group.
- It is composed of Executive Directors who are representatives of the African Development Bank member countries. Specifically the Board is responsible for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank, and carries out the following functions: (1) determine the general structure of the Bank’s services; (2) approve the financing policy and take decisions concerning loans, guarantees, equity investments and fund loans by the Bank; (3) determine the interest rates of loans and guarantee commissions; (4) approve the Bank’s operations program and administrative budget; (5) prepare the work of the Board of Governors ; and (6) submit accounts and annual reports, as well as the administrative budgets for the approval of the Board of Governors.
- The Board does its work through a series of permanent Committees that review and discuss policy and program documents and make appropriate recommendations to the whole Board. Independent Development Evaluation (BDEV); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR) report to the Board.
The Hiring Department
- The overarching mission of the African Development Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank in its regional member countries through independent and influential evaluations, oversight over self-evaluation processes and products, and proactive engagement in evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities. The core mandate of Independent Development Evaluation is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of African Development Bank’s self-evaluation activities. Independent Development Evaluation also collaborates and exchanges information with bilateral and multilateral development agencies’ evaluation departments, and undertakes joint evaluation of co-financed projects and programs.
- Independent Development Evaluation has three divisions: the Power, Energy, Climate Change and Green Growth; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; and Integration Evaluations Division (BDEV.1), the Agriculture, Human and Social Development, Corporate and Country Evaluations Division (BDEV.2) and the Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development Division (BDEV.3). The Divisions 1 and 2 focus on undertaking evaluations whilst Division 3 works on Knowledge Management, Outreach and Capacity Development.
- The BDEV1 division is mainly responsible for evaluations relating to the private sector, infrastructure (including transport, ICT, urban development, water and sanitation), industrialization, power systems, energy, climate change, green growth and regional integration.
- The Chief Evaluation Officer leads the design, conduct and reporting of complex and major evaluations of the Bank’s interventions (including policies, strategies and operations) in the areas covered by the Division, in particular activities related to the private sector.
- The overall objective of the Chief Evaluation Officer is to contribute to the delivery of the division work program by leading/conducting complex evaluations, supervising evaluation teams, mentoring and coaching junior colleagues, supporting pipeline and work program management, and quality assurance activities.
Duties and responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities of Chief Evaluation Officer are:
- Evaluation Activities: Design, conduct and report on evaluations in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Manual and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards and the Evaluation Cooperation Group (ECG) Good Practice Standards).
- Multiple and Complex Evaluations: Design, guide, lead, manage and report on multiple and complex types of evaluations in a year, in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Manual and international evaluation standards.
- Synthesis Report and Meta-evaluation; Lead, guide meta-analysis design, evaluation and methods including research protocols for literature search, capturing, organizing, and analysing data and monitoring project level completion reports and other evaluations.
- Private Sector Evaluations: Design, guide, lead, manage and report on complex private sector evaluations; in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation policy and Manual; and international evaluation standards.
- Quality Management: Contribute to updating the BDEV evaluation quality standards, and quality assurance processes, tools and capacity as well as establish an effective quality management process and tools including peer review terms of reference and checklists for each evaluation
- Stakeholder Engagement and Communication: Lead engagement and management of relationships with key evaluation stakeholders including investors, promoters, Bank Management and staff throughout the evaluation process and develop appropriate stakeholder engagement and communication strategy, and lead its implementation:
- Dissemination and Learning: Lead and guide the capture of learning from evaluation design to evaluation dissemination for use in updating the BDEV evaluation manual, knowledge products and staff learning events.
- Manage human and financial resources of a multi-disciplinary evaluation team to ensure the delivery of complex and concurrent evaluations that are conducted in an independent, cost-effective, rigorous and timely manner.
- Promote the mandate of the evaluation function and contribute to the creation of an evaluation culture in the Bank and in Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- As a recognized authority on evaluation theory and practice, contribute to positioning BDEV as an innovator and leading-edge among other multilateral institutions and to maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Evaluation Function.
- Build strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the Bank to further the Evaluation Function’s mandate and engage in evaluation communities of practice within and outside the Bank. Provide substantive input to these communities and share lessons of experience.
- Evaluation Cooperation with Experts from other Multilateral and Bilateral Development Institutions. Participate in joint evaluation missions of co-financed interventions, in joint training/seminars/workshops on evaluations, and develop partnerships with Evaluation Units in development agencies and with counterparts in RMCs.
- Contribute to the preparation of BDEV’s three-year rolling work programme and annual report.
- Holds at least a Master’s degree from a recognized University with specialization in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Development, Statistics, Policy analysis, or Private Sector Development related field. A certificate/diploma in development evaluation, development-oriented research and/or program/project planning, management and evaluation is an added advantage.
- Holds a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in in complex evaluations including in the private sector- identifying, designing, conducting, managing, and reporting development evaluation studies.
- Broad knowledge in all aspects of evaluation theory and practice.
- Proven experience of conducting complex private sector evaluations with significant experience gained in the Bank or in other international development agencies including multilateral development Banks.
- Proven track record of management experience in terms of engagement with team members and operations departments in the Bank
- Innovation and creativity
- Client orientation and advanced experience to lead multidisciplinary teams, and work in diverse and multi-cultural settings
- Substantial knowledge of the Bank’s mandate, strategic priorities, policies and operations.
- Advanced and broad knowledge of evaluation theories including design and analysis of development interventions (policies; strategies; programs; projects)
- Substantial knowledge of independent evaluation principles, standards, and procedures including OECD DAC Evaluation Standards, ECG Good Practice Standards.
- Substantial at least 10 years’ experience in evaluation in Multilateral Development Banks or other international development agencies desirable
- Significant knowledge in quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods.
- Strong theoretical and operational knowledge of international development issues and theories relating, in particular, to Africa
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); Competence in the use of statistical/econometric packages / softwares.
Job Title: Information and Communication Technology Officer (Country Office), CHIS3
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Position N°: 50064294
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP)
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to digitalize and transform the Bank into a knowledge-driven workforce, promote human resources policies that enhance talent, drive a performance -driven culture, and ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice.
- The complex ensures that all Human Resources and Corporate Services are re-aligned to drive greater corporate performance and execution of the Bank’s strategic vision and priorities.
- The complex is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, General services and institutional procurements, Language Services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Corporate Information Technology Services Department (CHIS)
- The Corporate Information Technology Services department (CHIS) mission at the Bank is to align the IT delivery strategy along with the Bank’s business strategy, to increase the organizational effectiveness through efficient use of the Information Systems (IS).
- Under the leadership of the Bank’s Information System’s Director, CHIS department is mandated by the Bank to deliver the best possible IT services for Bank staff, and help achieve the results that will get the Bank closer to accomplishing its development goals
- Under the general supervision of the Division Manager Network and Telecommunications Division (CHIS.3), the incumbent will be responsible for managing the Bank’s telecommunication infrastructure, multi-user network and messaging systems in the Country Office (CO).
- The incumbent will be required to run the telecommunications and network operations in the bank’s Private network as well as provide day to day support to staff on the use of the bank’s business applications.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, Network & Telecom Services, the Information Technology Office will:
- Manage the Bank’s unified telecommunication services pertaining to Voice, Data transmission and video;
- Ensure connectivity to all corporate applications by proactive and efficient management of the LAN/WAN multi-user environment;
- Implement system configurations as approved in the Bank’s change management processes;
- Install, configure and support Bank standard hardware and software including desktops, laptops, printers, scanners and other relevant peripherals and facilitate the operation;
- Monitor the Bank’s VSAT and fibber optic networks and liaise with service providers to ensure uninterrupted services;
- Administer the information systems in the Country Office/Regional Directorate General (RDG) including routine housekeeping, troubleshooting. maintenance and upgrading;
- Ensure that the bank’s information and information systems are protected in a manner consistent with its information security policy, procedures and standards;
- Provide technical support to country office staff and visiting missions as well as direction and support on end user computing and applications, including incidents on available hardware, software, network services and videoconference sessions;
- Work together with other Engineers from Headquarters to investigate, test, circumscribe and correct incidents/problems;
- Be responsible for Vendor Contract Management in the Country offices/RDGs including enforcement of SLAs:
- Identify IT related needs, prepare specifications and assist the Country Offices/RDG in the preparation of Request For Proposals (RFPs) for the procurement of IT equipment and services and manage contracts and suppliers;
- Assume responsibility for IT asset management in Country Office or RDG and the completeness of the inventory in SAP;
- Assume responsibility at the Country Office or RDG level in the Service Asset and Configuration Management process
- Assist the resident representatives or directors (RDG) in determining training needs, equipment requirements and specifications.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information System Telecommunications / Electronics or equivalent degree in Engineering or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience in ICT gained with similar
- Multinational organization or major private or public institutions.
- Experience with Network Traffic Monitoring and Diagnostic Tools.
- Experience and/or knowledge with QoS implementations, VOlP, WAN switching and routing,load-balancing and application-delivery solutions.
- Experience and knowledge of user data backup techniques and procedures.
- Experience in VSAT Satellite Systems.
- Experience in the Video Conference Systems.
- Experience in Windows operating systems (windows 8, 2008, 2012 etc)
- Good communication skills.
- Innovation and creativity.
- Problem Solving.
- Client Orientation.
- Team working and relations.
- Solid experience in the management of the Unified Communication Services pertaining to Voice, Data and video transmission.
- Strong skills for first and second level user assistance in handling incidents.
- Strong understanding of large enterprise IT infrastructure components (server, storage, and network).
- Strong Knowledge of Windows environments.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently with little supervision.
- Sold experience in the support of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Ability to use standard technology packages and Bank’s standard software (word, excel, outlook, Power Point, MS Projects, etc…), Knowledge of SAP, ITIL Foundation, and applications and the CrashPlan Backup System.
Deadline: 18th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
- Only applicants who are Nationals of Rwanda or are Nationals of member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in rwanda will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post.