Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed and fibre to 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of an estimated 4.8 million farmers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shift Miller
- Grains is one of the 6 prioritized platforms in Olam The Grains business consists of 4 verticals: Wheat Milling (in sub-Saharan Africa), Origination & Trading (Origination in the Black Sea and Latin America, Destination in the Middle East & North Africa, Prop trading in Wheat/Corn/Soy), Animal Feeds & Proteins (starting in Nigeria, but plan to expand to 4-5 countries in Africa, Asia & MENA by 2020) and Ocean Freight (vessel charter, Prop trading).
- Our manufacturing facilities in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, and Senegal helping these countries to reduce import costs of refined wheat. With an unrelenting focus on food safety, innovation and cost efficiencies, we produce a range of quality flours for bread, baguettes, pasta noodles, biscuits, semolina, and confectionery.
- Responsible for efficient daily milling activities to assure operations are optimized.
- The primary activities of this position include the operation of the milling process, prioritizing and assigning proactive and reactive milling maintenance, troubleshooting milling issues and maintaining quality product output.
- The role also includes activities like repairing day planning, procuring needed milling materials, controlling spare parts inventory for rolls, sifters, purifiers, and other milling equipment.
- This is a people management position and requires managing hands-on training for new and existing millers, ensuring best practice execution and performing work quality checks.
- A keen understanding of costs and a business acumen to ensure profitability is critical for the position.
- The candidate should have proven 6 years experience milling operations role in flour, and managed large independent operations
- Excellent people management skills and should be able to lead a diversified team of different nationalities and skillsets.
- Communicate and interface with all levels of the organization and external agencies/contacts including statutory bodies
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple activities concurrently (Multitasking)
- Ensure all areas operate efficiently within agreed financial budgets.
- Ensure efficient response to product specifications and volume requirements (in line with forecasts and new product development)
- Maintain and monitor production in respect of output yield/extraction capacity against set targets – exceed the targets
- Continually analyse output for variances and effectively manage negative variance.
- Implement work environment safety guidelines – ensure the health and safety of all subordinates within company guidelines and current legislation
- Regularly monitor the entire operations. Hold regular health and safety meetings as chairman of the site committee
- Implement agreed on recommendations from the annual contracted audits, reduce audit observations.
- Ensure all functional managers are aware of the correct codes of practice, both statutory and advisory, that govern accepted standards of safe operation at all premises
- Ensure production plant produces minimal dust and noise both internally and externally
- Build a structured site inspection and employee training plan, ensure effective implementation of the same.
- Ensure full employee awareness of safe working practices and their role in maintaining the required standards
- Ensure perimeter and yard areas are well maintained, build an aesthetically pleasing workplace
- Maintain and administer all personnel records and systems relating to employees (excluding records of sickness, absenteeism and holidays, recorded in the general office).
- Encourage excellent communication across plant workplace through team briefing, formal and informal discussions. Use multi-channel communication for better outcomes.
- Coordinate with managers to identify personnel training needs. Actively promote training and personal development on site
- Exhibit a flexible approach to working, explore new possibilities.
- Performance of other management tasks may be required for the wellbeing and advancement of the business