Senior Supply Assistant at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Supply Assistant
Job ID: 21945
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Employment type: Temporary Appointment
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Senior Supply Assistant provides supply support to all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing & procurement, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, assets & fleet management and monitoring within the area of responsibility (AoR).
- The incumbent is supervised by a higher level supply position and receives regular guidance and instructions from the supervisor on successive steps.
- S / he works independently on routine tasks while follows instructions of the supervisor on more complex issues.
- The incumbent may have contacts on a working level on specific issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate performing the supply function.
- The duty of the incumbent is to support the management of material resources within the geographical area covered while exercising efficiency in the use of those resources.
- In compliance with supply chain rules and procedures, support the related supply activities to facilitate UNHCR end to end processes resulting in a timely and quality delivery of goods and services to persons of concern.
- Apply UNHCR’s sourcing & procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- Initiate custom clearance of consignments, draft exemption requests, and liaise with local agents.
- Support warehouse management, and assist with planning of goods & services deliveries, and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on supply activities and provide reports and updates periodically, and on request.
- Examine purchase requests to ensure conformity and liaise with requesters.
- Prepare quotation requests and tenders, produce bid-tabulations from tenders and prepare Purchase Orders for approval.
- Dispatch approved Purchase Orders, and follow-up with the delivery of ordered commodities and services.
- Provide information on all procurement activities within the AoR.
- Produce standard asset management reports and other asset information, periodically and when requested.
- Maintain accurate data in all relevant business systems. Compile statistical information on supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
In the Regional Bureaux:
- Track global Supply KPIs for the region and assist in preparation of regional ones, as required.
- Monitor all periodic Supply exercises such as monthly reconciliations, quarterly physical inventory exercises, and year-end accounts closure procedures and provide relevant reports to senior managers.
- Assist Country Operations in MSRP management.
In the Country Operations:
- Ensure local liaison to effectively support the supply activities.
- Assist in the management of the storage of goods according to “best practices” and UNHCR rules and regulations;
- Assist in managing Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE) effectively according to UNHCR rules and regulation, including registration and marking of new PPE, physical verification of PPE, preparation of agreements and disposal forms (including submissions to LAMB / AMB), and assistance with disposal of PPE.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- The Senior Supply Assistant (Temporary Appointment TA) shall be based in Abuja and will report to Senior Supply Officer. In addition to the Duties and qualifications itemized, the recruited candidate will be required to perform the following;
- Facilitate the prompt delivery of UNHCR shipments to final destinations to meet operational needs (though there may be some incidences from the part of the shippers that are beyond the control).
- Constantly track incoming shipments and facilitate ease of custom clearance by local clearing agent or freight forwarders.
- Provide information and update to the office with regards to UNHCR shipments when required.
- Review all charges billed to UNHCR, making sure they are accurate and justified. The staff will also be the one to facilitate the prompt payment of custom clearing service providers.
- Get all information about shipments and communicate documents required to process tax exemption for custom clearance on time.
- Advise colleagues, shippers, and local clearing agents on custom formalities accordingly.
- Help interface with the local authorities on behalf of UNHCR and run all affairs of custom clearance activities that require lengthy time out of the office for follow up without affecting other supply chain activities.
- Facilitate the prompt approval of tax exemption, hence, reducing demurrage and detention charges on UNHCR shipments that sometimes run into millions of Naira depending on the weight of the shipment.
Duration of Appointment:
- This Temporary Appointment is for Three months (October up to December 2020)
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G5-2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Procedures and Eligibility:
- UNHCR Nigeria will like to hire a highly skilled and qualified candidate with preferably no less than 5 years experience in the areas outlined in the operational Context.
Functional Skills (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential):
- IT-Computer literacy
- SC-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management;
- SC-Warehouse Management
- SC-Asset Management
- SC-Fleet Management
- SC-Supply Planning
- SC-Customs clearance
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and / or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
NB: This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and / or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and / or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Not specified
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Technological Awareness
- English is mandatory
- Knowledge of the operational language in the locality is desirable.
Deadline: 28th September, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Additional Information and Notice
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
- Please Note that ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a competency-based interview.
- Kindly also note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Interested applicants are further advised to go through the operational context as well as the duties and Qualifications exhaustively to understand the need for this position.