Senior Project Assistant (MM) at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant (MM)
SVN No.: CFCV2021.81
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: Ungraded
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Ungraded Contract 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016).
- In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- Evidence abounds on route dynamics from Niger to Libya, and little is known about the North-western part of the country (Sokoto, Jigawa, Kano, Katsina and Kaduna) that connects to Niger which remains a popular route for traffickers and smugglers. Despite anecdotal evidence, including accounts from returning migrants indicating this as a major route for smugglers and human traffickers, there is limited information on factors that make this route favourable for irregular migration, challenges faced by law enforcement and border officials in curbing these criminal activities as well as the overall involvement of the communities in the process and their level of awareness of dangers these illicit crimes portend for victims.
- To meet these challenges, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing projects that aim to protect the security, dignity and rights of returning migrants from along this important and dangerous migration route; engage border communities in the fight against transnational crimes and to help improving the reintegration of returnees through innovative approaches.
- This will be achieved through different types of interventions including studies and assessments, capacity building for different stakeholders, protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The Initiative and complementing projects will aim at strengthening the technical, operational and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in these areas so that they can ultimately take over policies and programmes related to the effective border management including cross border coordination and cooperation, community engagement, and protection and reintegration of migrants in the region, with a view to improving the governance of migration in the region.
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM) and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (MMU) the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation and monitoring of Migration Management activities in the
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Collect and provide necessary information and assists in planning, preparing, organizing and implementing all aspects of the project activities on strengthening implementation of migration management activities including community engagement, capacity building, counter trafficking and reintegration.
- Support the implementation of activities under the Unit, which can include, but is not limited to, tasks ranging from logistical, technical and administrative assistance in organizing workshops and meetings, participation in meetings with project partners, government counterparts and relevant stakeholders etc.
- Support reporting and exchange of information on all programmatic aspects of the projects between IOM, the programme’s donors and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the in design and preparation of training materials, case studies and information materials;
- Support in the preparation of reports on project activities according to IOM and donor formats as required, contribute to and/or prepare weekly progress updates on project activities.
- Coordinate the training activities for strategic and operational level actors, including identification of trainers and consultants for business trainings et al;
- Liaise with relevant governmental and non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for effective implementation of the activities of project and participate in coordination meetings on return and reintegration with governments, NGOs and other stakeholders where required.
- Support the Programme Officer MM/AVRR in facilitation of meetings with the national stakeholders on return and reintegration and ensure that reintegration actors are involved in the implementation of the government-driven SoP.
- Coordinate activities of technical co-operation in order to strengthen the assistance network for reintegration of returnees, protection and support;
- Contribute to creative ideas for further programme development and draft project proposals, programme background, strategy papers, objectives, project reviews and evaluation;
- Track project expenditures in coordination with with Resource Management Unit and report accordingly;
- In coordination with the Programme officer MM/AVRR, implement information provision activities focusing on reintegration support under existing projects;
- Prepare narrative reports on project implementations by verifying the performance of project outputs and defined activities in line with implementation work plans and set objectives;
- Support the development of tracking tools based on agreed indicators for tracking the implementation of reintegration projects being carried out by the returnees.
- Provide guidance and supervision to Project Assistants
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Management, Social Work, Demography and Statistics, International Development, Law and other related Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant experience or High School Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant working experience in the field of migration including operational and field experience or related field, preferably within the International Humanitarian Field;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory;
- Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and procedures.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities.
- Good knowledge of information technology and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and SharePoint.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge the local language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Deadline: 16th November, 2021.
Important Information and Notice
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2021.81. Senior Project Assistant (MM) Abuja.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Failure to use the above CFCV in your email subject will result to disqualification.