Security Manager (Abuja) at Family Health International (FHI 360)
Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Manager
Job Requisition ID: 2022201256
Job Type: Full time
Supervisor: Security Director
- The Security Manager role is to provide support in development, implementation of safety & security strategy for projects and day-to-day security management.
- He/She will also provide support to the Security Manager/Security Director on management of staff safety and security issues which will strive to support FHI 360 program implementation.
- He/she will work across existing and new programs and may be called to support other regions as may be necessary.
- Daily & weekly security updates on incidents, trends and risk mitigation. Responsible for advising project Managers in their regions of the risks associated with staff working in complex and dynamic security environment in Nigeria.
- Liaise with other security actors in safe access to program areas
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the State offices in developing and overseeing the day-to-day conduct of office security program, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
- Provide technical security advice in consultation with the Security Director on the existing and any new potential FHI 360 offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments for FHI 360 program expansion areas Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically.
- Conduct Hotel assessments in liaison with travel office for a safety and security approval process
- Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible.
- Attend security meetings such as INSO, OSAC, UNDSS, INGO forum etc.
- Conduct onsite training for staff in the field of safety including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation Work with program staff in seeking security clearance for asset movements to operational areas
- Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are adhered to
- Provide advance security advice, security briefing to staff and visitors to respective States, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation
- Draft security advisories with advice on general situation, specific incidents and periods of heightened threat mitigation for circulation .
- Conduct periodic briefing to Managers/Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
- In conjunction with the Security Manager, deliver relevant security trainings. Ensure FHI 360 staff and visitors understand and behave in accordance to the Standard operating procedures, contingency plans and security briefings
Incident & Crisis management:
- Serve as the part of the Nigeria security unit, Manager emergency/staff incidents involving FHI 360 Nigeria staff and assets, inform the Security Director and recommend response actions.
- Update FHI 360 Security management plan, develop specific contingency plans for review by the Security Director as required or directed Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the States in region covered
- Organize safety & security awareness, fire and life safety training for all staff
- Maintain and enhance the State’s travel management system to track the location and contact information for all visiting staff and consultants.
- Be part of the security management Team (SMT) and support in crisis situation
Briefing and De-Brief:
- Visitors – Develop and deliver location specific safety and security briefings for all visitors on operating context New Employee Briefing – Deliver security orientation on personal safety, organizations security management framework, use of communication equipment (VHF, HF, Satellite phone)
- Post-incident debrief – de-briefing staff /visitors involved in security incidents and help in psychosocial support as well as identifying medical help.
Relocation & Evacuation:
- Plan for both security and medical evacuation for all locations and develop evacuation plan including roles, relocated staff, collection points, routes etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree level or relevant certification and a minimum of 7 years relevant experience with at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- A formal security qualification or security management training work experience in complex environments (minimal 7 years) Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic team. Experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in complex context.
- An ex-service man either from the Nigeria military/Police/DSS context or related field work. Prior experience with the UN system or international NGO is desirable.
- Experience in incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments
- Experience in training and coaching national and international staff in safety and security.
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communication systems, Thuraya and internet systems.
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian principals of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence
- Strong report writing, analytical and interpersonal skills, competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point, access and other database mapping systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations, previous security experience preferred.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- High level of experience, ready to learn developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to speak several Nigeria local languages as well North East work experience is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions
- Ability to travel (50% demands) on regular basis throughout assigned States on short notice.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- FHI 360 is committed to provide a safe environment for all employees, beneficiaries and anyone contracted by FHI 360. This Includes taking measures to protecting vulnerable people from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) by either FHI 360 employees or associated personnel.
- FHI 360 abides by child safeguarding principles. FHI 360’s Safeguarding Policies apply and flow out to all FHI 360 staff, board members, volunteers, and partner staff (subcontractors, consultants, vendors, and subrecipients), regardless of the funding mechanism or amount of contract, agreement, or purchase order.
- This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
- FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
- FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others – and yourself.