Risk Strategist at Flutterwave
Flutterwave was founded on the principle that every African must be able to participate and thrive in the global economy. To achieve this objective, we have built a trusted payment infrastructure that allows consumers and businesses (African and International) make and receive payments in a convenient border-less manner.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Risk Strategist
Location: Lekki, Lagos
Department: Compliance & Risk
- Within the Risk team, as a Risk Strategist you will serve as the internal consultant to various cross functional teams including product, engineering, partnerships and growth on all topics related to risk and card network rules.
- The ideal candidate will use their expertise in risk to advise on new product development, prioritization of market expansion, risk management strategies and establishing internal controls.
- Risk Strategist will develop recommendations that ensure Flutterwave can move rapidly while managing risk in every aspect.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (e.g. Product Managers, Engineering, Compliance, User Policy, Risk Partnerships, Legal, etc) to evaluate the development of new products and advise on the risk / fraud-related requirements and controls that need to be established to ensure Flutterwave manages product / transaction risk.
- Establish the risk appetite for both individual products and across Flutterwave’s entire portfolio.
- Lead ad hoc risk-related projects end-to-end to support market expansion, new products or risk management.
- Be the internal expert on card network (Visa / Mastercard / Amex / Discover) rules and our acquiring or issuing bank contractual requirements.
- Conduct research, analyze data and put forth recommendations and proposals that drive decisions on product, risk management and partnerships.
- Take ownership of undefined bodies of work and create a structured process that allows Flutterwave to move fast in identifying and executing on opportunities.
- Own the product risk assessment process for rollouts of new products or enhancements.
- Influence risk / compliance product and engineering roadmaps.
Required Competencies and skills to be a waver
- 7+ years experience in payments at a card network, an acquiring bank or related payments technology company.
- Deep understanding of risk and fraud
- Experience analyzing and interpreting card network rules
- Strong project management experience
- Solutions based mindset when working cross functionally across various stakeholders
- Negotiating with product, engineering, sales and legal to ensure alignment.