The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Technician II (Post-Harvest)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- Assist in implementation of all post-harvest operations under supervision of the post-harvest supervisors and line breeder
- Receiving, sorting, and recording samples received from on-station and off-station field trials.
- Assist in collating, curating, and uploading all post-harvest phenotyping data to cloud storage (cassavabase).
- Extend technical support to daily-hired staff, students, trainees/interns and NYSC members
- Manage day-to-day pre-processing of roots samples (cleaning, peeling, and weighing) from on-station, off-station, and on-farm cassava breeding field trials.
- Convert fresh cassava roots into processed products (mainly gari and odorless fufu).
- Process roots samples to determine dry matter and starch content.
- Perform all job-related duties as may be assigned by supervisor
- National Diploma in Agriculture, Biology, Food Science, or related fields with two (2) years’ experience performing similar role in a laboratory environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Consistently follow protocols and other directions and rarely make errors
- Have good sampling handling skills, excellent record keeping, experience in high through-put sample processing
- Be organized, strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Be dependable, takes initiative and responsibility for own actions
- Be flexible, adaptable, able to respond to changes in routine
- Have strong listening, verbal, and documentation skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Deadline: 10th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.