Project Manager at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, and we believe in the power of media and communication for good. We work in more than 20 countries around the world, supporting the independent media essential to democracy and development. Last year, our projects and programmes reached 130 million people facing poverty, inequality and insecurity with information they could trust, helping to improve health, bridge divides, challenge prejudice, and save and change lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on funding from donors and partners to carry out our work.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of projects in Nigeria. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also to ensure that existing projects are delivered on time, on budget, to the highest standards and in accordance with BBC editorial values and methodologies.
We are seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our Nigeria team in the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Senior projects manager
Contract: Fixed-term employment
Duration: 12 months
- The BBC Media Action office in Nigeria is looking for a project manager to lead and manage one or more of our projects, making sure the agreed targets and objectives are met while ensuring the quality and alignment of project outputs align with overall organizational objectives.
- The project manager will also ensure that all relevant departments are kept abreast of project commitments, timelines, strategies and changes to ensure adequate resource allocation and successful project implementation.
- The project manager will also be responsible for overseeing financial management of the project and reporting on progress to the senior projects manager.
- S/he will coordinate with key stakeholders and will ensure effective relationships and partnerships with a wide range of partners including broadcasters, NGOs, international development agencies, government coordinating bodies and others.
- The role reports to the senior projects manager (SPM) in Nigeria and will work closely with other implementing teams and the senior management team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the planning and implementation of all activities for the project(s) s/he is assigned to and manage in accordance with project budget and timelines.
- Manage project budgets (including budget forecasting) to ensure the full and successful delivery of project outputs in accordance with the budget and in line with BBC Media Action’s financial procedures and the funder’s operating guidelines. Working closely with the SPM and finance department to identify and resolve any potential financial issues.
- Monitor project activities – working closely with relevant heads of department and other teams to deliver all project and donor commitments while aligning with BBC editorial standards, values and BBC Media Action’s best practice.
- Negotiate and/or mediate conflicting views and priorities arising within the project or across departments/teams, to ensure solutions meet the needs of the project and BBC Media Action.
- Participate in the design and coordination of monitoring, evaluation and feedback/learning sessions, and work with relevant teams to adjust project delivery based on learning.
- Contribute to the articulation of a project’s theory of change and ensure that key research findings are fed into project design and delivery and support the development of media content – ensuring it links to the project ‘theory of change’ and intended development outcomes.
- Lead on reporting of project progress, both to donor, internally to BBC Media Action in Abuja and London, and externally to other stakeholders around the world.
- Support the development of relevant project management tools that aid the effective design and implementation of project activities, to include but not limited to theory of change, logframe/results framework and workplans.
- Contribute to the development of specific new business development activities; including proactively identifying and contributing new ideas, opportunities and partnerships which fit within the overall strategic direction of the organization.
- Contributing to the development and writing of new proposals, or working as part of a larger team responding to international and sub-regional funding opportunities.
- Support the development of knowledge management systems and processes that help to collect, organize, store and share BBC Media Action Nigeria’s information/knowledge assets in a manner that such can be readily accessible and effectively used for the benefit of the whole organization.
- Coordinate with other relevant project managers and BBC Media Action departments to build synergy between projects, to deliver the highest quality work at best value for the donor.
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with partners and organizations for the benefit of the project, in line with BBC Media Action values.
- Ensure that project activities comply with BBC Media Action and donor standards around safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults. The role will also lead or support to ensure that relevant safeguarding due diligence is conducted with any local partner organizations that may be working with vulnerable adults or children as part of the project and where any risks are identified, ensure that projects are designed to mitigate these risks.
- Support recruitment and induction of project staff as needed as well as support capacity building for other members of staff as required.
- Any other tasks assigned by the SPM or BBC Media Action to achieve project and organizational objectives.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Interested candidates should possess relevant qualifications and work experience.
- Demonstrable experience managing complex project activities effectively.
- Experience managing activity budgets and reporting/providing updates against scheduled activities and/or spend.
- Proven ability to build consensus and inspire different teams or departments to work together to achieve goals.
- Ability to work on own initiative and organize time effectively within a range of often conflicting deadlines, juggling competing priorities to meet project needs and objectives.
- Ability to forge strong working relations quickly and gain the trust of colleagues and partners, for example in other international NGOs, in government, in media houses, and elsewhere.
- Demonstrable business development skills.
- Experience at developing and articulating theories of change and other relevant project management/implementation tools.
- Strong technical understanding of and experience of working in the media/communications and development sectors, including media development and communications for behavior and social change.
- Adequate knowledge of the context/country of work, it’s development issues and needs to support the role.
- Experience mainstreaming disability inclusion into projects addressing diverse themes or managing projects solely focused on disability inclusion.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and confident public speaker with experience of presentations to colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Participate in a mandatory briefing on Respect at Work, and ensure compliance with the staff code of conduct and its related policies.
- Report any Safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the line manager or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to BBC editorial values.
- This is a local role and candidates must have the right to live and work in Nigeria.
Deadline: 5pm; 20th December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV with Cover Letter in English (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role, and availability status to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Only applicants with a separate cover letter will be considered.
- Please do not send certificates or other attachments.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- BBC Media Action is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children, youth, and adults.
- For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
- A police background check may form part of the recruitment process.