Breakthrough ACTION ignites collective action and encourages people to adopt healthier behavior – from using modern contraceptive methods and sleeping under bed nets to being tested for HIV and preventing the spread of zoonotic diseases – by forging, testing, and scaling up new and hybrid approaches to social and behavior change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer 1 – Social Mobilization
- The Program Officer I – Social Mobilization Officer will provide technical support to the state project team in the process of planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of social and community mobilization activities.
- S/he is expected to work in close collaboration with the LGA supervisors, community volunteers, State and LGA Health Educators, Ward Development Committees, and the State BA-Nigeria team to plan, organize, conduct, report, and follow-up social and community mobilization activities related to family planning.
- The incumbent will maintain regular communication with State Coordinator, BA-Nigeria Technical Leads, and BA-Nigeria Deputy Project Director – Integrated & FP.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the overall technical inputs to the project as described above, specific duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Lead implementation of social and community mobilization activities at the state level in collaboration with the LGA supervisors, community volunteers, State and LGA Health Educators, Ward Development Committees and other relevant partners.
- Support community capacity strengthening activities, advocacy with religious and community leaders to create an enabling environment for the practice of MNCH+N, FP and Malaria behaviors, as applicable.
- Organize meetings with religious, traditional and community leaders, village heads, community groups, women’s groups, trade associations and other relevant community segments as required to mobilize for the practice of MNCH+N, FP and Malaria behaviors, as applicable
- Support training and supervision of LGA Supervisors, Community Volunteers and other social/community mobilization agents working supporting the BA-Nigeria project
- Support the BA-N M&E Officer and State Coordinator to effectively collect, collate and report social/community mobilization data as required
- Collaborate with State Coordinator and State M&E Officers to ensure documentation of all community mobilization activities
- Prepare and submit timely and quality activity reports, including field notes and success stories, to effectively capture lessons learned on the ground from the projects.
- Assist with the establishment and maintenance of effective relationships at the State level with health partners, implementing partners, State SPHCDAs/MOHs and other key stakeholders, with guidance from and in collaboration with the State Coordinator, Deputy Project Director, and Project Director;
- Other duties as identified and assigned by supervisor and/or Abuja country office program leads
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or HND with at least 5-7 years’ work experience in advocacy, social, and/or community mobilization in reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH) program area. Experience in family planning, nutrition, or malaria programs will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, or similar software
- Well-organized, with ability to track multiple activities and deadlines
- Experience in providing administrative leadership and support to work teams
- Ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural, team-based environment
- Excellent communication, and organizational skills; and ability to influence and facilitate advocacy agendas at State and LGA levels
- Understanding of local communities and cultures in the state of assignment, and ability to communicate fluently in the commonly spoken local language.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to travel and work in difficult settings, including remote rural areas of Nigeria.
Deadline: 23rd June, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV only as one PDF document to: email@example.com using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the email.
Application Instruction / Notice
- To apply for this position, please follow the instructions exactly as described below. Any submissions that do not follow the instructions exactly will be discarded without review:
- Address the education/experience requirement specified for the position with specific examples where necessary.
- Language skills. (Please note that language skills will be tested during interviews for shortlisted candidates.)
- Include the specific date when you would be able to begin work.
- CV and cover letter PDF file name must be your first and last name in CAPS (e.g.: CHINEDU OGUAGHAMBA).
- The subject line of your email should be the job title along with the job location. E.g. “Program Officer I – Social Mobilization – Bauchi”
- Do not include any additional certificates or documentation. Any applications that include certificates or other documents will be deleted immediately.