Operations Manager at Translators without Borders (TWB)
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (home-based until deployment becomes possible; then in Maiduguri, Nigeria)
Travel: Limited travel in northeast Nigeria
Contract length: 1 year with the possibility of extension
- We are looking for an energetic Operations Manager, initially based remotely and then based in Maiduguri when TWB resumes normal field operations, subject to COVID-related travel requirements, to support the Country Director with day-to-day activities and work with the whole TWB team to develop new ideas and processes.
- The Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the in-country support functions of the Nigeria program to ensure effective financial management in addition to planning and coordinating administrative, HR and logistics procedures and systems and devising ways to streamline processes. The Operations Manager will also support the wider TWB crisis team as and when necessary.
- The Operations Manager should be enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player and leader who agrees with TWB ?s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
Financial reporting and budgeting:
- Support the Country Director in developing the country budget and donor budgets
- Maintain the Nigeria banking processes, both electronic and check, as well as the relationship with the bank
- Manage the registration, compliance and implementation of payroll in Nigeria
- Responsible for reporting and analyzing financial information (including budget vs actuals) according to statutory, internal and donor requirements and maintaining audit-ready financial records for projects and for TWB in Nigeria
- Monitor and report on the effects of exchange rate fluctuations between local and contract currencies
- Manage the preparation of monthly financial and payroll reporting for management Compliance and audit
- Assist the Country Director in ensuring that TWB is compliant with all statutory legislation, particularly with regard to company registration and Nigerian taxation
- Lead the implementation and monitoring of budgets versus actual spend including providing explanations for material variances and the provision of rolling forecasts for the Nigeria program
- Manage the short-term cash flow requirements of the program, liaising with the Head of Finance and Administration to facilitate cash transfers, top up requests etc.
- Facilitate and provide support to all donor, external and internal audits in coordination with the Country Director, Crisis Response Global Program Manager and Finance team
- Work with the external auditor to prepare and submit to the regulators the TWB Nigeria annual report and statutory financial statements
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place and operating effectively in accordance with TWB standards (tailored to the local context) and government, donor regulations
- Lead the collection of information required to prepare the annual audit reports, tax returns and other compliance requirements for entity in the Nigeria
- Oversee financial practices performed by Finance Officer and the Administration and Logistics Officer
- Ensure compliance with procurement, expenditure and financial procedures (may be linked to other procedures such as HR)
- Ensure TWB meets requirements under Nigerian law and related local registration rules
- Ensure national staff contracts meet national standards as required by law
- Manage the Finance Officer and the Administration and Logistics Officer with clear objectives and mentoring
- Act as the focal point for staff onboarding and separation activities
- Ensure an efficient logistics and procurement system, including asset management
- Manage the team in regards to procurement activities and ensure donor requirements and TWB rules are met
- Oversee and guarantee seamless logistics of travel and visas
Human Resources Management:
- Provide overall management and coordination of all aspects of program support, including overseeing the work of finance, human resources and logistics teams across the country and the field.
- Attract, motivate and retain team’s staff: develop individual and team skills, create a positive work environment, and manage the performance of team members
- Actively participate in building a culture that will ensure the organisation is positive, proactive and well placed to respond to a changing environment
- Organize recruitment logistics
- Develop and implement new/improved country financial procedures and processes as agreed with the Finance team and Crisis Response Global Program Manager
- Any other duties in support of a smooth and efficient programme office
- The role will evolve along with the overall programme as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and humanitarian community in Nigeria.
- The post holder will report to the Nigeria Country Director with matrix management from the Chief Financial Officer. The Country Finance Officer will report to this postholder.
- Experienced finance professional
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in disaster relief
- Resourceful, able to get more out of small budgets
- Thorough with attention to detail
- Able to tackle location challenges in collaboration with the global remote team
- Great communication skills
- Able to innovate to find creative solutions; willing to explore new technologies
- 7+ years in business support functions in management positions, including team management, in a large organization
- At least 5 years of proven experience in goal-based / outcome-based planning and budgeting for humanitarian programs, with strong preference for international experience and/or experience in Nigeria
- Knowledge of and experience implementing human resource management frameworks and strategies
- Demonstrated integrity with strong personal values aligned with our mission
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Kanuri or Hausa a plus
- Leadership that supports each person’s development and ability to make the most of themselves
- Able to manage multidisciplinary teams including when remote or when it is a functional link.
- Experience working with complex sources of finance (e.g ECHO, DFID, UN, Foundations)
- Experience with QuickBooks.
- Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Administration, Accounting or equivalent and / or MBA and / or other relevant professional qualifications
- Good financial, accounting and logistics management skills and experience in optimizing the use of resources
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
We offer in addition to salary
- An innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
Plus, during deployment:
- Location-specific allowance
- A 3-month Rest & Recuperation cycle, including additional leave and travel
Application Deadline 28th June, 2020.