Online News Editor in a Reputable Online Media House
Mctimothy Associates – Our client, a reputable online media house is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Online News Editor
Location: Mainland, Lagos
- We are seeking for a competent online news editor who will be responsible for generating and editing the ‘news’ content of the website, and has quality control oversight of all website content.
- Understanding of news, a good instinct for a story, knowledge of visual layout and photography.
- Understanding of the social issues that Fixers raise.
- Highly literate in IT and the web, skilled at visual layout, and handling photographs.
- B.Sc in Mass Communication, Journalism or any related field
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Tech Savvy
- Excellent communication skills
- Management and Leadership skills
- Minimum of 5 years experience on the role.
- Lead online news coverage, and manage the online team.
- Enact the editorial policy and agenda agreed by the Director of Broadcast with the CEO and Director of Projects, and attend regular meetings with them.
- Take responsibility for the news areas of the website, ensuring consistent high quality, good ‘inclusive’ writing, plenty of visuals and timely uploads.
- Take a quality control oversight of other website content to ensure clear and logical writing, sensible links to connected areas, and striking relevant images.
- Hold regular meetings with Online Journalists and assign them to research and cover news stories, features, specialist interviews and other original content.
- Take a significant part of the research and writing, while taking responsibility for, and checking and subbing, the work of Online Journalists.
- Originate new ideas, and propose ways to pull together or link stories thematically and geographically, and to add in depth coverage on issues.
- Maintain close working relationships with staff from Projects, Creative Resources and Broadcast to keep abreast of the latest fixes and developments.
- Ensure compliance with normal legal frameworks, including special requirements and permissions for the young, vulnerable, or those involved in court proceedings, applying the laws of copyright and defamation, and referring to Director of Broadcast if in doubt.
- Occasionally contribute to productions including celebration events
- Any other duties as reasonably required.
Deadline: 7th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Online News Editor” as the subject of the mail.