Occupational Therapist at Synapse Services
Synapse Services is the largest provider of Mental Healthcare Service in West Africa. We provide patient-centred care in a calm and serene environment with a robust mixture of Local and Internationally trained professionals.
When life is more than you can bear mentally, be rest assured you will find hope, support, and treatment at Synapse Services.
We believe recovery is a journey not a destination and our multidisciplinary team is committed to supporting our clients in taking the first, usually most difficult, step and providing continuous support on the road to recovery.
With a team of compassionate and highly skilled Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Addiction Specialists, Occupational & Speech Therapists, and Psychiatric Nurses, we provide a range of therapeutic programs designed to suit individual needs.
Founded in Abuja in 2009, we are a rapidly expanding private service with 2 centres in Abuja and one in Lagos and Anambra.
We are about starting a New Service in Port Harcourt called The Synapse Japonica and seek suitable candidates to join the team within the position below:
Job Title: Occupational Therapist
Location: Port-Harcourt, Rivers
Reporting to: Clinical Lead
To provide practical advice and solutions to enable people live full, satisfying and independent lives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake patient assessments of physical skills, communication skills, interactive skills and cognitive skills
- Teach clients new ways of approaching tasks and educate them on how to break down activities into achievable components.
- Establish realistic goals with the patient with meaningful outcomes
- Liaise with other professionals, such as doctors, psychologists, social workers, as well as patients’ families and caregivers.
- Keep up-to-date written and electronic records
- Write reports and care plans
- Select and modify the appropriate occupational therapy treatment model, method and approach to implement the process of interventions.
- Apply interventions to maximize safety and performance in activities of daily living (ADL) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADL).
- Attend multidisciplinary case meetings to plan and review ongoing treatment
- Refer patients to other specialists when needed
- Assess client’s home and other environments and advice on alterations consistent with their needs and capabilities.
- Recommend adaptive equipment and train in its use.
- Guide and educate family members and caregivers.
- Observe, note, and report on progress of long and short term treatment goals.
- Collect data and document processes followed.
- Contribute to the analysis, planning, audit, development and evaluation of clinical services
- Regularly follow-up client.
- Minimum of a B Sc. degree in occupational therapy, a Master’s degree would be an added advantage
- Proven working experience as Occupational Therapist.
- Valid licence to practice occupational therapy.
- Excellent knowledge of principles and practices of occupational therapy.
- Hands-on experience with computer programs and creative media.
- Familiarity with ADLs evaluation tools ( e.g. Katz ADL scale, Lawton IADL scale)
- Ability to manage patients with different types of personalities.
- Current knowledge of treatment practices per discipline and drive to continually learn and grow in the profession.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Deadline: 24th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications and CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Note: The subject of the email should be the job title – location e.g “Occupational Therapist – Port Harcourt” failure to abide by this would lead to automatic disqualification.