Nurse at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Nurse
Job Identification: 2868
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Practice Area: Health
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- The UN Clinic Nurse performs the functions under the immediate supervision of the UN Clinic Health Manager with regards to administrative and technical matters.
Reporting structure and partners:
- The technical supervision of the nurse and the medical personnel in the field as well as the technical performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee. In order to ensure that UNDP should facilitate external access to its Performance Development and Management system to MSD.
- The Dispensary Nurse serves as a support to the dispensary, working in close collaboration with the dispensary team to achieve the organizational aim of the UN Health team of Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Technical Duties:
- Attend the UN Clinic on a full time basis;
- Assist the UN Physician in the performance of his/her duties
- Responds to emergency calls during outside office hours when necessary and assists Medical Doctors in providing adequate care;
- Give first-aid and advice to the staff and their recognized dependents;
- Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
- Documents case findings.
- Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
- Performs clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
- Facilitates referral to the UN Medical Doctor or to an outside physician, as required.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
- Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
- Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
- Participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues.
- Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
- Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
- Advises evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorts patients if needed;
- Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
- Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
- Designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
- Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
- Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
- Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Physician or to an outside physician, as indicated;
- Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
- Assists in maintaining records of patients’ medical data including consultations and treatment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records; patient management and treatment.
- Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Facilitate planning, monitoring & evaluation and knowledge management:
- Maintain the UN Clinic in good order and keep the inventory of medical supplies and equipment up-to-date and be prepared for disaster;
- In consultation with the UN Clinic physician, maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of other UN Dispensary personnel i.e. Ambulance Driver and Cleaner;
- Check equipment and supplies on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis and maintain them in working order;
- Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized and maintains hygiene and cleanliness of the dispensary;
- Through a monthly check, ensures that medical instruments and equipment in the UN ambulance are maintained in a working order, and replaced after use;
- Enter medical data of patients into register, patient’s file, and electronic databases;
- Schedule consultations with the UN Physician for eligible staff and dependents;
- Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referrals and treatment when necessary;
- Ensure a proper and safe disposal of hazardous material and medical waste in close coordination with the Medical Physician, Lab technicians, and Pharmacists
- Identifies and plans clinics’ material, supplies and equipment requirements and raises requisitions accordingly;
- Liaises with Procurement Section and Supply Section to establish essential contracts for the mission;
- Develops logistic plans to support field satellite clinics, and follows up on implementation;
- Draws and implements duty roster for clinic personnel;
- Maintains and medical inventory and supplies and distributes medical supplies to outstations;
- Arranges medical appointments and examinations to mission personnel;
- Updates the monthly medical reports.
Impact of results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in health management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education is required
- Registered Professional Nurse.
- Or First Level Degree from an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Programme (University) with 3 years relevant experience or equivalent will be given due consideration
- Certificates in ECG, CPR or Basic Life Support and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care is an asset.
- Recognized additional training in primary health care and midwifery is desirable;
- HIV/AIDS Management training is desirable.
- National registration and license is a requirement.
- Minimum of 6 years with Secondary Education or 3 years of experience with a University Degree of continuous clinical experience in nursing preferably in a multicultural environment;
- Intensive Care and health administration. Supervisory experience in a UN field operation is an asset. Knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative policies and procedures is desirable.
- Experience in Trauma and Emergency care is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an advantage.
- LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
- LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
- LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
- LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
- LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
Business Management – Monitoring:
- Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Business Management – Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fullfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Direction & Strategy – Entrepreneurial Thinking:
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
Business Direction & Strategy – Effective Decision Making:
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Business Management – Communication:
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.|
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Business Development – Integration within the UN:
- Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
Business Management – Operations Management:
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledqe of relevant concepts and mechanisms
Application Closing Date
4:59 AM; 2nd April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- That continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the we