New Vacancies at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative & Finance Officer, COGN
Location: Conakry, Guinea
Position N°: 50097482
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. Within regional development, integration and business delivery complex the Bank has five (5) regional hubs one in each region: South Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa and Central Africa. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General.
The Hiring Departement
- The various Country Office falls within one of the five (5) Regions of the Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs. The Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices, as well as non-presence countries.
- The Director General is accountable of the specific African region. Each Hub will house relevant operations, business development and project implementation functions and administrative capabilities in a shared service for rapid deployment into the individual countries, to help drive the overall business of the Bank effectively on the ground.
- Country Offices of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
- Under the overall administrative authority of the Country manager and in consultation with the Administrative and Finance Unit at Headquarters, the Administrative and Finance Officer, will among others: undertake to implement the administrative services including accounting and budgeting, human resources activities and supervision of use of office facilities and resources.
- He / she will carry out effective recording, control and management of Bank resources, the Office’s operational activities in keeping with the Bank’s policies and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare the administrative and capital budgets in compliance with the schedule set by the Budget Department at Headquarters;
- Monitor expenditures in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures and prepare periodic reports and where appropriate propose revisions;
- Implement financial management and reporting procedures and controls to improve service efficiencies, identify savings and promote the efficient use of resources;
- Review monthly financial reports and periodically prepare reports, statements and schedules to facilitate the audit of the Field Office by the Bank’s Auditors;
- Maintain personnel records including benefits in accordance with the Bank’s Human Resources policies and instructions;
- Supervise the procurement of goods and services and management of property and equipment in accordance with Bank rules and procedures;
- Prepare and monitor service providers’ contracts;
- Institute sound stock keeping for office supplies and maintain inventory records and a fixed asset register of Bank property and equipment;
- Control the processing of mission expenditure advances and balances;
- Prepare and follow up the processing by Government of requests for tax exemptions, long stay visas, diplomatic and international organization cards and registration of the Bank’s vehicles and staff members;
- Handle and follow up the processing of visa applications for official missions and all other Bank official documents;
- Submit reports on personnel management; manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force; assist the Country manager with consultant recruitment and staffing issues.
- Oversee the staff members responsible for airport arrival and departure formalities for Executive Directors and Governors, and all other personalities invited by the Country Office.
- At least a Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Audit or Administration.
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (CA, CPA, ACCA or Expert Comptable) and a degree in Human Resources Management would be an advantage.
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience including three (3) years in an accounting firm or in business organisations;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment, to function effectively as a member of various groups and to deliver under pressure;
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
Job Title: Director of Statistics, ECST
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092395
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The ECVP is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio-economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
- The ECVP inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
The Hiring Department
The Statistics Department is responsible for the Bank’s statistical activities that focus on two main components:
- providing support for effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and Sustainable Development Goals agenda across Africa.
- mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.
The Department is also responsible for:
- Providing technical and financial support to African countries in a wide range of statistical domains emphasizing regional and sub-regional activities, where countries can benefit through using internationally agreed common methodologies and approaches, thus achieving economies of scale.
- Supporting the data needs for the Bank’s operational effectiveness and the results measurement framework, as well as for research, policy and financial work.
The Director of Statistics Department (ECST) is responsible for the following:
- Providing leadership to the Bank’s Statistics team to support effective development of statistical capacity and systems in African countries for the provision of timely and reliable data to support development results measurement for the High 5s and SDGs agenda across Africa.
- Managing the Bank’s Statistics team to help mainstreaming results measurement in Bank operations to ensure their operational effectiveness as well as to support the Bank’s research, policy and financial services.
- Providing the necessary leadership to build and strengthen internal and external partnerships to ensure coordinated and effective support for statistical development work in African countries.
- Support the transformation of statistical agencies from exclusively reliant on traditional survey statistics to design, implement and analyze phone survey and big data in general.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management, the Director-Statistics performs the following:
- Plans, organizes, manages and controls the activities of the Department:
- Lead the Department, including setting goals, recruiting top notch staff and provide leadership to deliver high quality statistical products;
- Provide intellectual and strategic leadership in the development of Statistics as a continuous process across RMCs;
- Manage human and financial resources of the Department;
- Build partnerships with internal and external stakeholders and engage at the most senior levels to coordinate the Bank’s statistical activities to enable consistent monitoring and evaluation of the Bank’s strategic goals.
- Provide efficient and high-quality services to achieve the set objectives.
- Develop and significantly grow the Bank’s statistical program.
- Initiate and introduce necessary changes to ensure the Department’s activities respond to current and emerging data needs.
- Plans, manages and advises on up to date approaches of data collection, dissemination and utilization of data to inform applied research on African development issues. This involves among other issues:
- Advocate for methodological coherence through the harmonization of statistics and availing of up to date metadata to aid cross-country comparison of key aggregates in collaboration with other development partners and in liaison with the Operations Departments of the Bank.
- Avail and promote the necessary data dissemination tools across all RMCs and maintaining the same with a view of enabling real time sharing of development data to inform the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)(Agenda 2030); Agenda 2063, the HIGH 5s and a host of other national development initiatives across countries.
- Establish and maintain relations with other development partners involved in producing data to inform timely decision making.
- Represent the Bank in international and regional conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management and Senior Management
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or other relevant discipline. A PhD would be a strong asset.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of extensive and progressive experience in the field of statistics and/or data management in a similar organization, five (5) years of which must be at a managerial level.
- Knowledge and experience with programs where big data techniques have been deployed in development context and experience with the transformation of statistical agencies.
- Ability to build internal team dynamics and foster inclusion in a multicultural environment.
- High degree of discretion and tact with the Bank’s external clients.
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas.
- Ability to make effective and timely decisions.
- Extensive and in-depth experience on statistical and/or economic development issues in Africa.
- Strong analytical and empirical skills for interpreting data and informing decision- or policy- making.
- Familiarity with the roles of other development finance institutions in addressing the data needs for SDGs & the High 5s agendas across Africa.
- Ability to think strategically and to design long term plans and programs in line with strategic priorities.
- Good leadership skills and ability to attract, motivate and retain high quality professional staff.
- Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks, develop innovative approaches and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas, a good listener and cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change.
- Proven ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Bank.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Deadline: 19th March, 2021.
Important Information and Notice
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions. The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will therefore not have international terms and conditions of employment.
- Only applicants who are nationals of Guinea or are nationals of member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in guinea will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem to “HR Direct” via: HRDirect@afdb.org
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.