Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator (Roving) at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator (Roving)
Job ID: 220001NV
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Post Type: National
Team: Programme Development and Quality
Reports to: Programme Manager
Technical line manager: Senior MEAL Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts because of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The position holder will sit in Katsina state and support the three project’s implementing states i.e. Katsina, Adamawa, and Borno states, therefore, the role involves frequent traveling.
- He/she will coordinate the MEAL activities for an Integrated Health and Nutrition project with multiple locations (Katsina, Adamawa and Borno states).
- He/she ensures continuous documentation of lessons learnt for project adaptation.
- This project is gender-transformative with focus on adolescent nutrition, sexual reproductive health, education, and protection programmes in an integrated manner.
- The MEAL Coordinator will coordinate MEAL activities for the response, design, and implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities for the SCI projects, especially the Integrated Health and Nutrition project in Katsina, Borno, and Adamawa state.
- He/she contributes to strengthening monitoring and evaluation systems, monthly review and analyze data and provide feedback to programme manager and prepare the M&E Project reports to the donors as at when due.
- She/he will provide a framework through which these measurements (M&E data) are fed back to those involved in the running of the various component of the development program and ensure that the information can support and guide the decisions of the management team to improve the quality and impact the program operations.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Key Responsibilities for M&E:
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Manager, MEAL Manager, Head of MEAL, and all project managers to develop an overall M&E framework for the development/humanitarian program
- Provide MEAL technical assistance to program teams and inputs into the design stages of program proposals, budgets, log frames, indicators, and measurement methodologies, plans, and tools.
- Provide technical and methodological support to programs for the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities, data management (development of questionnaires for surveys, sampling, input method, extraction of useful data and interpretation), and integration of cross-functional issues.
- Ensure continued generation of accurate information about beneficiary reach, as per regional requirements.
- Develop the capabilities of program teams in the areas of collection and analysis of data (method, formats, software, etc.), indicator measurement, feedback and complaint mechanisms, negative impact analysis, etc.
- Develop indicator reference sheets, including a list of operational definitions of what is being counted for each indicator, and develop appropriate data collection tools for the development/humanitarian Response Program programmatic indicators.
- Ensure the consistency of tools and indicators across all offices, sectors, and programs as appropriate, maintaining a bank of key program indicators.
- Ensure that MEAL and program teams regularly review and accordingly adjust MEAL plans and tools in the light of changes and needs in the field context based on monitoring data and reflection sessions.
- Support on planning and managing internal or external program evaluations.
- Conduct regular field visits to track progress against indicators and put in place systems for routine data quality checks and validations
- Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Recruit, support, and oversee the technical quality of work by MEAL officers, supporting the officers and program teams’ implementation of MEAL systems.
- Collate case studies and/or help partners to collect case studies for tracking program results.
- Actively participate in M&E meetings with key stakeholders and other external meetings.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly progress reports and statistics as well as mid-/final reports to stakeholders
- Advice and put in place a system for promoting transparency and accountability Plan for stakeholders.
- Support the development of donor reports and document learnings across a project.
- Perform other tasks as required by the MEAL Manager and Head of MEAL.
- First Degree in Social Science / Management Sciences and other related discipline
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in M&E positions and/or program experience in field data collection in emergencies.
Experience and Skills:
- Detailed knowledge of M&E frameworks and M&E Plans, systems, and indicator reference sheets
- Experience in at least two of the following sectors: Nutrition, Child Protection, Education, and Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health.
- Good understanding of routine data quality checks/validation
- Experience in survey and qualitative interviewing, including supervising field data collection teams and writing research reports/case studies
- Proficiency in mobile data collection tools design and deployment
- Advance knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in the use of statistical analyses software e.g SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, etc
- Ability to assess problems and recommend solutions
- Have experience and/or knowledge about working with children on research issues and is aware of the local legal and child protection systems.
- Experience of working in a post-conflict environment/refugee/IDP situation
- Project management experience
- Ability to work as part of a team, Flexibility, adaptability, and patience
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines.
Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyze complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates the highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
16th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process.
- Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted