Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed and fibre to over 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of 4.8 million farmers. Through our purpose to ‘Re-imagine Global Agriculture and Food Systems’, Olam aims to address the many challenges involved in meeting the needs of a growing global population, while achieving positive impact for farming communities, our planet and all our stakeholders. Headquartered and listed in Singapore, Olam currently ranks among the top 30 largest primary listed companies in terms of market capitalisation on SGX-ST.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Miller
Sub-Function: MATS Common
- Grains is one of the 6 prioritized platforms in Olam The Grains business consists of 4 verticals: Wheat Milling (in sub-Saharan Africa), Origination & Trading (Origination in the Black Sea and Latin America, Destination in the Middle East & North Africa, Prop trading in Wheat/Corn/Soy), Animal Feeds & Proteins (starting in Nigeria, but plan to expand to 4-5 countries in Africa, Asia & MENA by 2020) and Ocean Freight (vessel charter, Prop trading).
- Our manufacturing facilities in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, and Senegal helping these countries to reduce import costs of refined wheat. With an unrelenting focus on food safety, innovation and cost efficiencies, we produce a range of quality flours for bread, baguettes, pasta noodles, biscuits, semolina, and confectionery.
- Responsible for efficient daily milling activities to assure operations are optimized. The primary activities of this position include the operation of the milling process, prioritizing and assigning proactive and reactive milling maintenance, troubleshooting milling issues and maintaining quality product output.
- The role also includes activities like repairing day planning, procuring needed milling materials, controlling spare parts inventory for rolls, sifters, purifiers, and other milling equipment.
- This is a people management position and requires managing hands-on training for new and existing millers, ensuring best practice execution and performing work quality checks.
- A keen understanding of costs and a business acumen to ensure profitability is critical for the position.
- Drive team capabilities to achieve milling production targets through adherence to production schedules.
- Review production performance through daily, weekly & monthly reviews with team members & relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure regular site inspection and maintaining a training calendar for the team to improve the overall production capabilities.
- Drive team engagement through team building practices, case studies & informal gatherings.
- Ensure team performance, engagement while also enforcing discipline in line with company guidelines, disciplinary procedure and employment legislation.
- Maintain a calendar for all the Statutory inspections in the Plant.
- Review production expenses & devise strategies to manage costs against the allotted budget.
- Liaise with engineering team to ensure compliance with maintenance schedules for the mill and to ensure that breakdowns are duly attended to.
- Ensure team is trained & maintained on the Quality / EHS standards for all the jobs & processes.
- Ensure an effective production materials management through Safety stock reviews & proactive ordering on time.
- Initiate ideation process within the team to generate value addition projects on production efficiency & safety improvements & make plans for implementation.
- Maintain good report & interpersonal connect with all peers & senior stakeholders in the business for effective management of the department.
- Implement work environment safety guidelines – ensure the health and safety of all subordinates within company guidelines and current legislation
- Implement agreed on recommendations from the annual contracted audits, reduce audit observations.
- Ensure all functional managers are aware of the correct codes of practice, both statutory and advisory, that govern accepted standards of safe operation at all premises
- Ensure production plant produces minimal dust and noise both internally and externally
- Build a structured site inspection and employee training plan, ensure effective implementation of the same.
- Ensure full employee awareness of safe working practices and their role in maintaining the required standards
- Higher National Diploma / Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Min 3 Years of experience in Milling Operation
- The candidate should have proven experience in production, milling operations role in flour/feed products, and managed large independent operations
- Excellent people management skills and should be able to lead a diversified team of different nationalities and skillsets.
- Communicate and interface with all levels of the organization and external agencies/contacts including statutory bodies
- Demonstrate ability to manage multiple activities concurrently (Multitasking)
- Overall is well suited to be selected for the role
- Demonstrates the functional competencies and skills required to perform in the role
- Demonstrates communication, collaboration, managerial and leadership competencies required to perform in the role
- Aligned to the Olam culture and Shared Values
- Excellent Communication