We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Coordinator – Nigeria M / F
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Despite difficulties accessing the area due to unsafe roads, ALIMA staff were among the first international aid workers to set foot in the town of Monguno (140km from Maiduguri) in June 2016. ALIMA has since helped encourage other international NGOs to intervene in the area and is now working together to provide the best possible care to the people in need. Actually, ALIMA is providing medical and nutritional care at seven IDP clinics in Monguno, as well as at the Maternal Child Health Centre where ALIMA offers hospitalization for children for health and nutrition and a Basic Emergency Maternal and Newborn Care (BEmONC) and at the General Hospital Monguno where Comprehensive Emergency Maternal and Newborn Care (CEmONC) and an Emergency Room for adults are available.
In September 2016, ALIMA opened a clinic near the numerous IDP camps in Muna (in the outskirts of Maiduguri) to meet the medical needs of children under the age of five and pregnant and lactating women.
Since May 2017, ALIMA is partnering with the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (ITFC-UMTH) and UNICEF to implement an Inpatient Therapeutic Feeding Program Training Centre within the UMTH. The purpose of this centre of excellence is to manage complicated cases of severe acute malnutrition as well as to train professional health workers from the Ministry of Health on the management of children with severe acute malnutrition with complications. All the participants benefit from a ten days training, consisting of both theoretical and practical.
In Baga and Doro (Kukawa LGA) ALIMA has been providing primary and secondary healthcare to children under 5 in addition to Sexual and Reproductive Health Services for pregnant and lactating women including antenatal. The degradation of the security situation in Kukawa LGA prompted ALIMA to suspend its activities in Baga and Doro in December 2018. ALIMA is closely monitoring the security situation, and in coordination with the Borno State government and MoH, will scale-up humanitarian activities based on needs, proximity/access and in line with the international humanitarian principles.
In the South Borno, in Akira/Uba and Hawul LGAs, ALIMA is implementing since January 2018 a three years Early Recovery Project aiming at strengthening the health system in both LGAs. ALIMA is supporting one general hospital and ten primary health centres.
- The Medical Coordinator plans, designs, leads, coaches and coordinates the implementation of the overall medical content, strategies, activities and resources in Borno mission in order to facilitate the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve population health condition, its humanitarian living conditions and disease prevention.
- This will be done in close collaboration with the Head of Mission, other departments and other local authorities and following the corporate ALIMA ethos and values, health policies, protocols, and operational plan; and monitoring medical and humanitarian situation in the country.
- S / he is responsible to define, monitor and update the medical content of the ALIMA country policy, annual plan and budget, by scanning health needs through exploratory missions and implementation of health information system, elaborating, monitoring and reviewing project proposals, determining, necessary resources in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk.
- S / he advices the HoM about the medical and health aspects of the program
- S / he defines and updates the medical objectives according the indicators, the health context and ethical principles
- S / he participates in the HR management of the medical team (training, individual reviews, path careers identification, support) in close coordination with HR manager
- S / he facilitates the understanding of the medical stakes linked to the program and conveys these to the association
- S / he follows the prevention and curative aspects of national and international team health
- S / he is the medical representative of ALIMA towards the local medical authorities and the medical stakeholders
- S / he participates in the program definition and implements the methods and means to achieve the objectives
This will be done ensuring linkage with the community, its proximity by safe-guarding medical ethics and the quality of medical programming (ie. Relevance, effectiveness, safety, accessibility and appropriateness of ALIMA’ s medical interventions, as well as “best practices” clinical management of patients.).
Qualification, Experiences & Skills
- Essential, degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies. Specialization in tropical medicine or a degree in Public Health would be an asset
- Essential, working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs and previous humanitarian experience in ALIMA or other NGOs in developing countries.
- Essential working experience of one year as a Medical Coordinator
- Fluent English; local working language like Hausa/Kanuri would be an asset.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Strategic Vision
- Rigorous, autonomy and organized
- Adapting Capacities and Proactivity
- Ability to work in multicultural context
- Risk Alert, and good communication
- English mission based
Conditions and Remuneration
- Contract term: contract under French law, contract length: 12 months
- Position to be filled: As soon as possible
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the Mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful. Only full applications will be taken into account. Only accepted applications will be contacted.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 27th November, 2020.