Manager, People at Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST)
The Edo State Government, led by Governor Obaseki, implemented the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme to improve basic education across the state. Through EdoBEST, the government is transforming learning outcomes for the 300,000 children across 1,029 public primary and 471 junior secondary schools in Edo State. EdoBEST is a Government designed and lead programme that is re-training all 15,000 government teachers – novice and experienced – to be technologically supported and empowered teachers.
Under EdoBEST, The Edo Supporting Teachers to Achieve Results (Edo STAR) programme is a hands-on government teacher training initiative forming a core pillar of the State’s reform agenda for basic education. The programme is developing a more highly skilled teaching workforce by training, supporting and motivating Edo State teachers to succeed in the classroom of tomorrow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, People
Location: Benin, Edo
Employment Type: Full-time
- Our people are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our schools to the software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. We are the champions of EdoBEST culture.
- We find passionate change-makers across rural communities, informal settlements and global cities who want to lead the movement to reform public education. We help them grow through continuous learning, strong focus on performance and extensive collaboration.
- We rely on technology to engage with, innovate for and serve thousands of our people spread across multiple time-zones.
- We are evidence-based, outcomes driven and lead through service.
People Operations Department:
- People Operations manages each employee’s life cycle with us, with a focus on contracting, benefits, compensation, payroll, and date-driven performance management. We are the first point of contact on most issues for our team members, ensuring our policies support and encourage a strong and effective team. Working across hundreds to thousands of employees, we work at scale, with large amounts of data, leveraging technology to improve employee systems and support.
About the Role
- As the People leader for our office in Edo, you encompass all things People for this office.
- You will lead employee experience, people operations and administration functions within People.
- You will also support our talent acquisition efforts as we expand rapidly. As you deliver on your primary functions, you will also be asked to lead or support cross-functional projects for development and execution across our territories and support offices.
What You Will Do
- Be the culture champion for our team.
- Help the team appreciate, understand and celebrate why we do what we do.
- Improve employee experience innovatively in ways that speak our values.
- Innovate by challenging traditional notions of what makes employees happy.
- Use the office design, layout, and every touch-point in an employee life cycle to live our values.
Support our talent team in hiring, especially during their busy periods, including:
- Interviewing candidates;
- Administering technical assessments;
- Coordinating the interview process; and
- Leading on-boarding and induction for all those who join us
Excel in providing effective and relevant operational support to the team including:
- Managing employee contracts;
- Benefits administration and management;
- Leading performance management initiatives
- Conducting disciplinary investigations; and
- Providing appropriate support during separations.
- Foster continuous learning and a performance-oriented culture when developing our talent.
- Comply with our policies: be fair, transparent and consistent.
- Comply with all applicable, local labour laws.
- Maintain diligent records of all relevant employee documentation.
- Use data (from the primary source) to analyse issues and find their solutions.
- Lead innovative and authentic talent development efforts that help our employees continuously learn (by doing) and grow. Measure the results of such interventions.
- Manage office administration.
- Own the budget dedicated for office administration.
- Ensure that employees work in a safe, secure and hygienic environment.
- Use the space to engage with our employees effectively.
- Coordinate all logistics and arrangements for Teacher Training
- As an agile, outcomes-focused professional, you may be involved in exciting work that impacts not only the Edo State office, but also other territories and support offices.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other related fields with top academic marks; MBA/grad degree or HR professional membership a plus.
- Minimum of five years of significant leadership experiences in operational roles for rapidly scaling companies.
- Strong analytical thinker, ideally with previous experience in board commercial and operational areas
- Self-starter; highly driven individual that will take ownership from the get-go and proactively look for improvement
- Emerging markets experience a major plus
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to work with a very diverse workforce
- Strong project management skills
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, we work in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Deadline: 2nd March, 2021.