Latest Jobs at West African Institute of Public Health (WAIPH)
West African Institute of Public Health (WAIPH) is a non-state regional health development organisation (RHDO) for public health advocacy and improving public health systems through education, research, practice and programme implementation especially within the fragile systems in the region. To achieve its mission, theInstituteis therefore innovation-driven, working in the field of public health to support governments and partners to create dynamic, equitable, integrated, decentralized and participatory health systems within a just and empowered society in the spirit of Universal Access to Health.
WAIPH’s flagship membership Academy of Public Health (APH) which is also known as West African Academy of Public Health (WAAPH), is the special purpose vehicle for the professional certification, development of competency and skills and setting standards in the region along the ambit of the regional charter for public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Representative (15 stations)
Employment Type: Volunteer
- WAIPH seeks qualified and interested individuals as Country Representatives (CR) to be its key focal persons in various West African countries; volunteers who can help us ensure the relevant individuals and organisations in their country such as public health researchers, professionals, partners and policymakers to be aware of the work of the organisation or the ways that its Academy could help them progress their careers and showcase their work.
- We also want to ensure that their knowledge and experience is represented in our networks, and part of the knowledge economy and impact we can achieve. WAIPH’s Academy also houses the largest credible directory of public health practitioners in the region.
The role of the Country Representatives:
- The Country Representative is a new voluntary role, whose aim is to ensure we are better connected with our members, supporters and networks all across West Africa.
- They also assist to bridge the language barriers and localize the information in their various countries.
- Representatives help influence how the Institute operates, through their links to the Board of Trustees and also to the team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- As a Country Representative, you could help ensure researchers, professionals and policymakers in your country or area can better benefit from the work of the Institute, and you can also inform us about the best way to work in your country.
You can be involved through a number of ways:
- By spreading the word about WAIPH and our work through disseminating information to your networks
- By potentially helping us deliver local events in your country or area
- By helping us understand the contacts and organisations in your country that you feel we should be in contact with to broaden our partnerships and reach.
- We also want to hear your thoughts on how we can best achieve our aims and objectives for public health, in line with global best practices.
- By helping to ensure progress in public health from your country is represented in our journals, at our meeting and events, and in our data through encouraging your networks to be involved with us
- By advising us on how the work in your country aligns with our strategic priorities
- We would like Country Representatives to be able to work with us for at least three years (though renewable). For most countries, we will look to recruit two Country Representatives.
- If you are not a member of the Academy and would like to be a Country Representative, you are advised and welcome to join, as this is the foremost requirement to you becoming the Institute’s representative in your country. Your fees will be waived if you qualify for the role of CR.
- MBA or MSC in a related area is an advantage
- Candidates should possess a minimum of 5 years work experience.
- You will have been based in the country you would like to represent for at least a decade and will be there for at least another two years or more and conversant with the primary language of communication in that country.
- You have a good understanding of the health environment, as well as having established links to public health networks, governments and organisations.
- You are knowledgeable in your specific area of public health and have established good networks within your country, in your field and more widely, preferably across the public health programmes within academia, nonprofit, international development, private and public sectors.
- You have represented your organisation or worked in other non-executive or voluntary capacities in the past and will have a good understanding of how to disseminate information and extract ideas and advice.
- You will be confident and willing to represent WAIPH in all required capacities.
- We hope that volunteering as a WAIPH Country Representative will be of immense benefit to you. You will be part of a network of passionate representatives across West Africa and automatically serve as a member of the Strategic Advisory Board of the Institute, as well as on some of its Commissions and Technical Working Groups.
- Hopefully, this will also expand your visibility and existing networks as well as contacts in your area of work.The role will also confer on you Membership of the Academy and use of the postnominal scripts “MAPH”.
- As a Country Representative, you will enjoy an annual fees waiver.
- The Institute’s Management is glad to provide references for all appointed Country Representatives.
Deadline: 12th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their expression of interest (EOI) and an executive CV not exceeding four pages as a single document to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.