Job Vacancies at Synapse Services
Synapse Services is a Centre for Psychological Medicine that is committed to providing a full range of mental health and substance misuse services in a caring, patient- centred environment. We are located in the heart of Nigeria – Abuja, with branches in Lagos, and Anambra state. We provide first class psychological and psychiatric care, with a range of therapeutic programs suited to individual needs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Clinical Lead
Number of Shifts: Two
- To work as part of a team of medical professionals to provide psychiatric nursing care to patients of all ages, gender, religion and disposition, while creating a safe and therapeutic environment to aid their mental stability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Psychiatric Nurse provides direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on the application of scientific nursing principles. In addition to basic nursing care, responsibilities of Psychiatric Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Assessing and planning individualized nursing care requirements for all patients.
- Developing nursing care plan based on individual patient’s needs.
- Ensuring that identified care plan is implemented and evaluated for all patients especially those within their identified groups.
- Ensuring that care given is individualized, patient-centered, evidence-based, and in collaboration with other members of the multidisciplinary team, as well as other statutory and voluntary organizations when necessary.
- The Nurse would spend extensive parts of the shift directly or in directly monitoring and evaluating patient care.
- Ensuring that the number of patients at the point of hand-over and take-over are accurate.
- Adequately care for patients in line with the nursing ethics.
- Attending multidisciplinary team meetings, the planning and supervision of case conferences regarding the assessment, care, planning, implementing and evaluating treatment of patients on the practice, giving advice on discharge suitable for patients.
- Administer prescribed medication to patients, monitor use, document and report appropriately any reaction.
- Educate patients on the purpose, dosage, and side effects of medication, and
- explain the implications of refusal to take prescribed medication.
- Daily documentation of the shift’s activity as regards to patients in clinical reports, and updating care plans.
- Coordinating and supervising of support staff on duty.
- Assigning shift duties to every support staff while on shift.
- Also the Nurse will be expected to undertake performance appraisal of support staff, as directed by the Clinical Lead.
- Engaging in pickup of new or old clients when required.
- Observe assigned patients on a daily basis to identify, interpret, and document physical and emotional status and/or patterns, such as assaultive or suicidal behaviour, and response to treatment or medication.
- The Nurse is required to deal with crisis intervention and treatment, particularly for those patients who require special observation or for those that are on suicide watch.
- Inspection of patients’ rooms every morning.
- Encouraging patients to take part in therapeutic activities such as art therapy.
- Checking of Patient’s vital signs daily.
- Working with the support staff to see to the personal hygiene of patients in the morning.
- Participating in or lead individual or group counselling sessions, family conferences, and recreational and social therapy sessions to assist patients in understanding the nature of emotional and physical problems, and to accept the need for treatment.
- Participate in departmental and team meetings to discuss patient care and progress, shift activity, and program policies and procedures.
- Ensuring activity schedule is properly implemented
- Ensuring that projected meal time is properly implemented.
- Make Clinical presentations during clinical meetings and ward rounds.
- Demonstrating leadership by training colleagues and subordinates in a bid to improve clinical practices.
- Reporting any breech in hospital policy by patients and co-workers to the Head Nurse or Clinical lead.
- Attending to any additional responsibilities as prescribed by company’s policy or/and the Clinical Lead.
Under the title of Psychiatric Nurse, the incumbent must:
- Be alert and sensitive to patients’ psychological, emotional and physical needs and behavior.
- Analyse a situation and adopt a course of action.
- Prepare and maintain nursing records and reports.
- Recognize and respect boundaries of confidential information.
- Possess good communication skills.
- Exercise independent judgment in medical emergencies.
- Demonstrate tact, diplomacy, patience, and compassion.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, other agencies, and organizations.
- Comply with nursing policies, ethics and program regulations.
- Understand and implement valid oral and written medical instructions.
- Be able to work independently.
- Must be a Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Must be medically and physically fit.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ work experience as a psychiatric nurse
Job Title: Clinical Psychologist
Location: Port-Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Clinical Lead
A clinical psychologist identifies and diagnoses psychological, emotional and behavioural issues in client, develops and implements treatment plans.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Counsel individuals and groups regarding problems such as stress, substance abuse, and family situations, in order tmodify behaviour.
- Offer therapy and treatments for difficulties relating tmental health problems such as anxiety, depression, and addiction.
- Identify psychological, emotional, or behavioural issues, and diagnose disorders, using diagnostic criteria and develop treatment plan accordingly.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team alongside doctors, nurses, social workers, psychiatrists and occupational therapists;
- Develop and implement individual treatment plans, specifying type, frequency, Intensity, and duration of therapy.
- Modify treatment activities or approaches as needed tcomply with changes in clients’ status
- Guide clients in the development of their skills or strategies for dealing with their problems
- Have an understanding of bipsychosocial assessment, psychological case
- formulation and develop an individualized treatment plan for every patient in therapy.
- Facilitate Diverse Group therapeutic sessions and ensure proper engagement.
- Select, administer, score, and interpret psychological tests in order tobtain information on individuals’ intelligence, achievements, interests, and personalities.
- Be conversant with different treatment methods like cognitive behavioural therapy, dialectic behavioural therapy, talk therapy person centred therapy etc.
- Collect information about clients through initial assessment and other related sources that can help tmake treatment effective.
- Be conversant with the electronic medical record system for proper documentation of progress notes and treatment plan.
- Evaluate clients’ physical or mental condition based on review of client information
- Collaborate with other staff members tperform clinical assessments or develop treatment plans
- Refer patients, clients or family members tcommunity resources or tspecialists as necessary
- Act as client advocates tcoordinate required services or tresolve emergency problems in crisis situations
- Counsel family members tassist them in understanding, dealing with or supporting clients or patients
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs on clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives
- Discuss with individual patients their plans for life after leaving therapy
- Meet with families, probation officers, police or other interested parties texchange necessary information during the treatment process
- Plan, organise or lead structured programs of counselling, work, study, recreation or social activities for clients
- Plan or conduct programs tprevent substance abuse or improve community health or counselling services
- Psycheducate client on the importance of medication compliance.
- Learn about new developments in counselling by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars or establishing and maintain contact with other social services agencies
- Gather information about community mental health needs or resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy
- Develop individual treatment plan for children.
- Educate family members on what they can dfor their child or how trespond tcertain behaviours.
- Have an understanding of neurdevelopmental pathways, how tdiagnose, carry out assessments and draw up appropriate treatment plan tmeet specific needs.
- Ensure that after discharge client is transferred ta robust aftercare plan for proper follow up and management.
- A minimum of a Master degree in Clinical Psychology
- Must have completed NYSC
- Minimum of 3 years’ internship/paid Clinical experience
- Strong communication.
- Excellent relationship management and business development skills
- Proactive problem-solving approach
- Stress tolerance.
- High level of professionalism.
- Ability tmaintain strict confidentiality
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- Have an understanding of data protection and confidentiality
- Ability tobserve, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Ability teffectively communicate medical information, test results, diagnoses and/or proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by the client.
- Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
- Ability tevaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and tmake individual modifications.
- Ability tassess mental status in clients and tdevelop individual treatment goals and plans.
- Knowledge of psychological test administration, scoring, and interpretation.
- Ability tmaintain emotional stability tcope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining patient records.
Job Title: Support Worker
Location: Port- Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Ward Manager
- To assist in the provision of care and support under the guidance of a qualified nurse.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide personalised care and support services to patients
- Support the nurses on duty and the clinicians while they carry out their duties
- Assist patients with their personal hygiene in the morning
- Make sure patient’s bed area and the dining area are cleaned after use
- Interact more with patients during their activity schedule
- Maintain continuous contact with patients in the Facility without ever leaving them unattended to.
- Receive instructions from the nurse in charge of the ward at all times
- Complete observation charts and handover checklist
- Ensure the patient’s environment is safe and neat; free from harmful objects
- Ensure that electrical appliances e.g. bulbs, Air conditions and other appliances are switched off when not in use.
- Monitor and observe patient closely and report behavioural changes.
- Intervene in areas of physical need to ensure that patients have good levels of personal hygiene, nutrition, sleep et cetera.
- Assist in patient’s body, oral, nail and hair cares.
- If the need be, bathe patients, lay their beds
- Manage potentially violent and confrontational situations with patients
- Assist service users/patients with activities of daily living under the supervision of senior staff
- To escort service users/patients as required under the guidance and supervision of the qualified nurse
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Nurse or clinicians
- Minimum of ND in Health-Related and other Social Sciences Course
Deadline: 20th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae to: email@example.com
Note: The subject of the email should be the job title – location e.g “Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)- Port Harcourt” failure to abide by this would lead to automatic disqualification.