Job Vacancies at Olam International
Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed and fibre to 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of an estimated 4.8 million farmers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sales Development Head
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Functional Area: Sales
Department/Product: Packaged Foods Business
BAND: Senior Leadership role
Function: Not Applicable
Sub-Function: Not Applicable
- Olam PFB manufactures and markets a range of branded packaged food products to consumers across multiple African markets. Over the last decade the PFB business has established regional brand and market leadership positions in multiple consumer categories across targeted markets in West Africa.
- The Olam PFB portfolio currently counts eight key brands that are marketed to more than ten South and West African markets.
- The consumer categories we are present in West Africa includes: Tomato Paste, Instant Noodles, Biscuits, Confectioneries & Dairy Beverages.
Detailed Job Description
- The Sales Development Manager would be responsible for enabling the Business Units to build route to market, distributor automation, salesforce capability, salesforce automation and performance scorecards.
Key responsibilities include:
- Help develop & deploy the right ‘Route to Market’ model for each Business Unit – both short term & long term.
- Develop RTM with deep channel, customer & category understanding – General Trade, Modern Trade, E-Commerce, Institutional Trade, Hub and Spoke Rural distribution
- Develop and implement common sales processes/ systems & tools across businesses and categories
- Develop & Deploy the ‘Olam Way of Selling’ across sales organizations:
- Ritualize – ‘Day in the life’; ‘One language’
- Standardized Sales Call (at various levels).
- Managing Redistribution: Outlet Mapping, Target Setting, Daily Route Coverage Plans, Beat Plans, PJP, Productivity
- Salesforce productivity score cards (Direct Coverage, Effective Coverage, Productivity, Lines Sold…)
- Reporting Systems including DSRs, Retail Cards, Monthly Reporting, Monthly Claims (if any), Damage & Shortage Claims.
- Distributor Management: Briefing, Order Management, Stock Management, Credit Management., ROI calculations
- KPI formulation & tracking.
- Route Optimizations Devise appropriate checks and balances in the process & reporting formats.
- Develop and implement sales and distribution metrics, Drive efficiency and productivity of our Sales force and Redistribution assets
- Work on Sales Automation in the medium to long term, identify capability needs of the sales organization in terms of skills and competencies based on the business & sales
- Develop training modules for various levels of sales teams.
- Either in-house or with external help
- Innovative Methods: Role Plays; Videos…
- Adapted to local cultures.
- New members to be inducted with focus on product & functional knowledge.
- Drive structured ‘On-the-job’ training for company sales team & merchandisers – new recruits as well as current personnel.
- Provide coaching, guidance and work out professional development plans to help the sales force reach their full potential & create a world-class sales force.
- Lead and develop process of field force incentive systems & recognition programmes.
- Help in developing Trade Marketing Plans. Lead with ideas for different categories.
- Independently access the quality of service to customers. Work with Business Heads & Sales Managers to improve the same.
- Candidate with extensive exposure in Sales, Route to Market, Sales Capability Development, who has worked up from the ranks.
- Minimum 12-15 Years of work exposure in Leading Foods & Beverages Company
- Premier Institute MBA preferred.
- Willing to relocate to Lagos, Nigeria.
Job Title: Farm Manager
Function: Not Applicable
Sub-Function: Not Applicable
Farm Manager: Large Scale Rice Farming Operation:
- Innovation in rice farming is essential. We have introduced a fully mechanised large-scale rice farm in Nigeria. The Project cultivates two crops of 4,400 ha per year, under flooded conditions, which are delivered to an onsite company-owned Rice Mill.
- Our farm has an integrated rice mill with a processing capacity of 70,000 tonnes. This farm acts as a centre for improving productivity, and also as a vocational training hub for thousands of smallholders from nearby communities. Through our rice mill, farmers can process their crop, and gain access to market, improving local livelihoods.
- As the leading farm to shelf organization Olam values its plantations as the starting point and source of all prosperity.
- The Estate Manager is a leader dedicated to the development and betterment of the plantation estate.
- The role is multidimensional starting from managing people to land development and working with vendors.
- The incumbent would be responsible for managing the palm and rubber plantation from all phases of estate works including land development, replanting, maintenance of optimum crop production, cost management and overall estate operations.
- New land development for rubber estates, nursery establishments, land clearing, planting, maintenance and upkeep.
- Responsible for the overall estate operations and budget/cost estimation within cost maturity target
- Planning and management of fertilizers stores, chemicals, and machinery
- Build the required talent for the estate. Guide the team on the entire plantation procedures
- Implementation of all the requirement for planting TLC and LC
- Land identification, purchasing, and evaluation for high yield plantations
- Conduct periodical reviews of the plantation operations at different locations.
- Great networking with government agencies and environmental departments for regulatory approvals.
- Understand the environmental and social impact assessment, conduct assessments periodically.
- Obtain primary yield production and identify cases where there is variance with last year yield. Plan remedial action in case of negative variance.
- Directs, motivates & coordinates with Asst. Managers and supervisors on the farm activities such as planting, irrigation, chemical application, harvesting and evaluate it together with the Head of Farming Operations and take corrective decisions.
- Should be able to organize himself and the team and execute the farm operations within the planting to harvesting time frames of the farm with excellent labour-management skills.
- Budget preparation for the area assigned and strive to be within the allocated budget
- Ability to analyze the budget vs actuals and forecast any overruns.
- Ability to forecast on the harvest dates by estimating the physiological maturity to save time and prevent harvest losses.
- Coordinate with workshop, agronomy, mill & aerial operations team for the efficient functioning of operations from land preparation to harvesting.
- Should be able to evaluate the team members & understand the knowledge gap and address it with the required training from the concerned department.
- Should Keep himself updated on the knowledge on the machineries, nutrients, herbicides, pests & diseases.
- Preferably have farmed in Africa at some stage in his career.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of working experience, preferably in plantation and estate management roles with a large organization.
- Language – English & French is a must for this role
- Diploma, advanced / higher / graduate diploma, Bachelor’s degree, Postgraduate diploma or professional degree in Agricultural, Plantation Management, Aquaculture/Forestry or equivalent
- Possess excellent people skills, leadership qualities and ability to work independently. Motivating staff for process orientation and being a go-to problem solver.
- Experiences in land clearing, P&D, replanting, new planting, and development of areas.
- Conversant with the use of a personal computer is highly desirable.
Skills & Qualifications
- Should have good communication skills in English.
- A degree in agriculture would be preferred. Master’s in agriculture or management would be an advantage. A degree in science may be considered.
- A previous large-scale rice farming experience with a minimum of 5 years is preferred, or candidate has worked under any plantation set up for 10-15 years may be considered.
- Should have good knowledge of using basic MS office packages.
- Experience of MIS or ERP systems would be an advantage.