Job Opportunities at Medecins du Monde (MdM)
Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Officer
Location: Damboa, Borno
Under the supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Supervisor, the Data Officer will be responsible for the following main activities in accordance to national and MdM procedures:
Data Management on the Corresponding Forms and Tools:
- Receiving the data from the project team or if not, collect it
- Enter medical data in the mission database appropriately and on a regular basis (from mobile teams and supported health facilities)
- Update and maintenance of database (data, formulas, graphs…)
- Report and alert to the line manager of any problem arising with data provided or database.
Data Report Design:
- Update the standard monitoring tool designed on Excel
- Create and generate relevant graphs to show the data developments/movements
- Finalizing development of database in collaboration with coordination team if needed
- Contributing to design various studies (surveys, new forms…)
Field Monitoring Supervision:
- Supportive supervisions of mobile clinics team to support and improve field data collection
- Conduct regular field visits to verify data collected on different activities
- Conduct regular field visits to conduct on-the-job trainings on data collection
- Assist the M&E Supervisor on M&E activities in Damboa
- Direct supervision of registrars in all mobile clinics to ensure data quality
- Instruct colleagues on various tools to be used
- Train mobile clinics team on proper use of data collection tools
- On request, will have to read documents, reports etc, to look for data.
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Medical Supervisor/Health Program Coordinator.
- BA/BS or equivalent in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
Professional experience and skills:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working in the non-profit sector in Information and Data Management or Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Excellent Excel Skills
- Excellent Information Technology skills
- Ability to think independently and identify data discrepancies
- Experience designing and implementing electronic data collection methods
- Understanding of confidentiality requirements for medical data is a plus
- Knowledge of the use of GIS applications a plus
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Ability to work under less supervision
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Excellent skills in Excel and data analysis are required for this position, and will be tested at interview
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Fluency in English and Hausa required
- Rigor and organization skills
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
Job Title: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Supervisor (MHPSS) Counsellor
Location: Damboa, Borno
- Under the supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Supervisor the MHPSS counsellor provides psychosocial and/or psychological interventions in an individual or group format.
- The MHPSS Counsellor will liaise with the mental health team (MHPSS Supervisor and MHPSS Counsellors) on the implementation of MHPSS interventions and activities, more specifically.
- Deliver one-on-one (Individual) and group counselling sessions to identified clients within MdM Clinics, and in line with MdM integrated approach
- Develop psychosocial activities; community mobilization, awareness-raising, and any other related activity requested by MHPSS Supervisor.
- Support MHPSS Supervisor in delivering training or workshops
- Support in the creation of materials including publicity documents.
- Engage with the community to deliver and promote MDM MHPSS project activities in the designated locations.
- Assist in writing monthly, quarterly, annual reports, monitoring and evaluation activity and progress reports of project activities including monthly reporting to the MHPSS Supervisor.
- Assist in the implementation of preventive MHPSS interventions at the community and PHC level.
- Coordinate referrals
Provide MHPSS consultations within PHC setting:
- Provide individual or group consultations to beneficiaries presenting in PHC or referred and in need of MH interventions
- Assist in the identification of psycho-social needs and proposition needed interventions in collaboration with the mental health team and PHC staff
- Weekly reporting activities and data collection
- Coordinate with MHPSS supervisor on cases requiring higher-level interventions
Provide psycho-social support for mental health beneficiaries:
- Work directly with MHPSS Supervisor to develop individualized treatment plans for MH beneficiaries
- In coordination with community, mobilizers use participatory methods to adapt activities in accordance to the needs of the different target groups (children, women etc)
Community mental health interventions:
- Participate in defining effective and culturally appropriate approaches and interventions on the community level
- Focus on information dissemination and collecting opinions to foster knowledge and self-care practices for communities in areas of intervention
- Initiate and facilitate group interventions
Analysis, detection and reduction of risk factors influencing the mental health status at community level:
- In collaboration with the mental health team, explore and detect potential risk factors influencing mental health status of the target population
- Coordinate with other actors concerned to reduce and/or eliminate potential risk factors.
- Any other related MDM tasks as assigned by the MHPSS Supervisor or MHPSS Coordinator
- Under the guidance of MHPSS Supervisor and MHPSS Coordinator support in the collection of information related to behaviors of the community to reinforce quality of MHPSS services
- Collaborate and participate, in any field survey, data collection and/or needs assessment organized by MDM in relation to MHPSS
- Participation in MDM internal meetings, trainings and individual meetings with the MHPSS Supervisor or MHPSS Coordinator
- The activities may change based on the changing context
- To inform immediately security focal point in the case of any security problem.
- Note: This job description is not exhaustive and the staff member may be asked from time to time to perform duties over and above those described here. The staff member is also expected to maintain confidentiality of all beneficiaries and internal information at all times.
- Degree or HND in Psychology, Counselling, Social Works, Psychiatric Nursing, or related field from a recognized institution
- At least 1 – 2 years of professional experiences in relevant field (clinical psychology, educational psychology, Psychiatric Nursing, or other related fields)
- Strong communication and facilitation skills
- Experience working in humanitarian sector is an asset – specifically in MHPSS programs
- Good knowledge of counselling and community mobilization methods and tools
- Good spoken and written English
- Good spoken and written Hausa , with at least one other local language: Kanuri and Marghi, Shuwa, Fulani,
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends when necessary
- Good computer skills (Microsoft word, Power Point and Excel)
- Proactive and ability to work with multicultural team would be highly appreciated
- Be committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, Not For Profit model
- Experience in supporting medical team and community-based organizations
- Experience working with survivors of trauma, including GBV
- Working in emergency and development project
- Exposure to research
- Good knowledge of Borno State.
Deadline: 7th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: email@example.com using “Data Officer – Damboa” as the subject of the email.
- Our process of selection include some written tests and oral interviews.
- Interviews will be in Maiduguri
- Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated.