Human Resources Officer at The United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Officer – NOB
Requisition ID: 144021
- This job is found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ), and typically report to a more senior HR Officer, Regional/Country Director or the designate.
- Job holders operate with minimal supervision, and provide guidance to junior staff to ensure that operational and project objectives are achieved. They are heavily involved in day–to-day activities and analytical work.
- Job holders provide advice on low complex issues, applying HR rules, regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities.
- To deliver a professional, client-focused HR services, partnering with managers to implement HR solutions in line with WFP corporate priorities.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, and deliver HR operational activities or projects, following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Provide advice to managers and employees, understanding their needs and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Provide effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Contribute to staff capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing/delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Support organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by implementing new/updated HR policies, procedures and systems and recommending improvements to ways of working.
- Deliver onboarding activities which ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
- Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and delivering solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Other as required.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University Degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- Typically three (3) or more years of postgraduate professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad or specialised knowledge of HR best practices, techniques and processes with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and provide client-oriented service.
- Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Ability to supervise and support more junior and/or less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions and recommend a course of action.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Team Leader of HR Strategic Partners for Country Director/Deputy Country Director (CD/DCD) Offices, Programme, RAM, Communications and Advocacy Marketing (CAM), Capacity Strengthening, Security, Partnerships & Operational Info Management (OIM)
- Provide to those Units HR Service of excellence in terms of Talent Acquisition, Staff entitlements, Payroll, Management of Staff Social benefits, Capability Development, Performance management, Separation.
- Support the Head of HR Unit as HR Strategy & Projects Focal Point for:
- Human Capital Development
- Staff Engagement
- Work force Planning
- Org Alignment
- HR Digitalization
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian Nationals are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in the English language only.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service
Application Deadline 28th July, 2021.