Head of Facilities Management Services (FMS) at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Facilities Management Services (FMS)
Ref No: DDG–CS/H/FMS/04/21
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Employment Type: Contract
- We are looking for an experienced Manager who will be responsible for coordinating, planning, and leading all Facilities Management Services (FMS)of IITA, which include Automotive Services, Transport Pool, Building and Grounds, Construction, Electronics, and Instrumentation Services, Heavy Equipment and Fabrication, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, Power supply and generation, Production of potable water supply to campus, Sewage treatment, Management of a large housing estate of 88 houses / apartments.
- The person should bea highly technical skilled, experienced, flexible, forward-looking, and motivated leader who is also not afraid to get her / his hands dirty. A people person with excellent interpersonal skills who can bring our FMS to international standardsand provideexcellent services for our users.The successful candidate will be responsible for preserving the good condition of infrastructure and ensuringthat facilities are safe and well functioning.
- The ideal candidate will be well-organized, up to date with moderntechnologies,especially greener ones, and optimize the use of space and equipment while reducing operating costs.The Head of FMS reports to the Deputy Director-General for Corporate Services.
The Head of FMS will:
- Lead and coordinate Facilities Management Services.
- Manage and lead the FMS teams: Automotive Services, Transport Pool, Buildingand Grounds, Construction, Electronics and Instrumentation Services, Heavy Equipment and Fabrication, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, Power supply and generation, Production of potable water supply to campus, Sewage treatment, Management of a large housing estate of 88 houses / apartments.
- Supervise, develop, appraise, and retain staff to deliver services in a client-focused, efficient and effective manner.
- Prepare work schedules and outline work assignments.
- Plan and coordinate training for staff to ensure they have the knowledge and skills needed for operating and maintaining current and future systems and technologies.
- Lead on preventive maintenance programs for laboratory analytical instruments, office equipment, housing infrastructure, systems, vehicles, HT power grid distribution network, and heavy earth-moving equipment.
- Utilize in-house technical skills and technologies and propose outsourcing wherever it will be economical and technically feasible.
- Assist in preparing technical feasibility studies and cost estimates on new projects.
- Review and approve purchase requests. Maintain inventory and ensure adequate supply of materials, parts, and related equipment and supplies in collaboration with the Supply Chain / Procurement unit, by proposing and adjusting Re – Order Level(ROL) of critical items.
- Manage capital and operational budgets as well as plan and monitor expenditures.
- Take part in the One CGIAR Business Operations Community of Practice to leverage collaborative and shared services.
- Oversee construction projects and liaise on infrastructure, equipment, andvehicles.
- Ensurethe safety and security of all installations and take responsibility for health and security standards.
- Coordinate the proper functioning of the FMS central helpline staff and act as a liaison between FMS and other service units, clients, suppliers, etc.
- Perform any other job – related duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- The candidate should have a minimum of BSc or an equivalent degree in Engineering, Facilities Management, or a related field.
- Relevant work experience of at least 10 years, in an international, multicultural organization or company, with experience in Africa, preferably Nigeria.
- Expertise in at least three (3) of the service areas, one of which should preferably be civil or building structures with adequate experience in modern construction practices.
- Excellent working knowledge of current and future technologies, including renewable energysolutions.
- Strong technical and practical skills.
- Strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and finance principles.
- Strong critical / analytical thinking and decision – making skills.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills, with Gender, Diversity, andInclusion understanding and strong cultural awareness.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills; working knowledge of French would be an advantage
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application below attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.