Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Department – Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 12 Months
Start Date: 2021-01-03
Action Against Hunger is an international humanitarian organization committed to ending world hunger. For almost 40 years, across nearly 50 countries, we have been working to fight undernutrition and support communities affected by crises across the globe. We carry out innovative, lifesaving programs in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Disaster risk reduction, Mental Health and Care Practices, Food security and Livelihoods, and Social Protection. More information on the ACF website: http://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/
Action Against Hunger began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security and livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. In the year 2019 alone, our work in Nigeria reached approximately 1.8 million people. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe, 6 in Jigawa, and in Kano state.
Action Against Hunger Nigeria program is supported by DFID, ECHO, GAC, OFDA, SDC, UNICEF, EU, USAID, AFD, SIDA, and GFFO. The total budget amounted to approximately 50 million USD in 2019. The country team comprises over 600 staff. Other than the coordination office in Abuja, there are four state offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri, Dutse and Kano and four sub-bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade, and Damasak.
Accommodation is provided in designated guesthouses across bases for international staff with very comfortable living conditions and convenient amenities. Apartments are shared but each individual will have his or her own bedroom.
Abuja the Federal Capital of Nigeria is generally safe both day and night but as with any city, caution and common sense should be exercised always. Though security guidelines here are relaxed, must be strictly adhered to.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director – Program, you will be responsible to ensure the efficiency in project deliverables
- The HOD will be responsible for ensuring the MEAL teams are implementing an effective system to monitor progress, outcomes, impacts, and successes of project activities and performance at all levels
- The MEAL HOD will act as Technical Advisor for the MEAL department.
More precisely, you will be responsible for:
Provide technical oversight of ACF MEAL systems:
- Ensuring contextualized MEAL systems are developed to guide project implementation in compliance with ACF’s MEAL Guidelines and Minimum Requirements for MEAL
- Develop the MEAL component of the country strategy, in collaboration with DCD Technical Unit, for appropriate technical guidance
- Support MIS staff to ensure management of the MIS platforms used at the mission level, systemized mobile data collection systems and other technologies are in place to strengthen monitoring and reporting of MEAL activities
- Validate comprehensive MEAL plans for each project to capture quantitative and qualitative data for project performance tracking and reporting
- Develop, update and ensure implementation of MEAL department Standard Operating Procedures
Support proper and timely reporting of MEAL activities as well as other departments:
- Review and validate the ToRs, data collection tools, and reports for baseline / midline / endline surveys, PDM, project evaluation, etc.
- Validation of projects Activity Progress Reports and beneficiary count
- Support development and revision of donor
Build the capacity of MEAL staff through training, mentorships and coaching to ensure quality control of monitoring and evaluation activities:
- Build capacity of the MEAL department staff on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning related topics, through training, coaching, and mentoring
- Support program staff for the use of MEAL data in their programming
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support the implementation of MEAL activities and to identify milestones and challenges where adaptations might be needed
Ensure capitalization and learning of all projects activities in the mission:
- Provide feedback to the senior management team on standard indicators for all sectors while comparing across bases
- Organize and coordinate mid-term reviews, learning workshops/review of program work plans with program teams at field level and other stakeholders
- Review documentation of project activities with a clear articulation of lessons learned, case studies, and short articles for each project for internal and external sharing and ensure timely tracking of lessons learned implementation for better quality programs
To support proper and adequate resource management: HR, Finance, and assets:
- Review and validate MEAL department organogram and job descriptions on a regular basis
- Support recruitment of MEAL staff at field level
- Support the welfare of MEAL staff to ensure good working conditions and performance enhancement
- Conduct appraisal of MEAL DHODs
- Provide inputs for the appraisals of MEAL Managers and deputy Manager if applicable, M&E officers and Accountability officers, from a technical point of view
To represent the organization at the National level and promote ACF’s technical viewpoints, guidelines, and methods of work:
- To represent ACF at the state level and where appropriate, cluster, working groups, workshops, and strategic think tanks related to the department.
- To proactively collaborate with national authorities, ACF counterparts and staff, partner agencies and consortia / alliances / partnerships;
- To ensure the coherent and correct application of ACF guidelines and policies within the MEAL department and across the organization.
- You hold a Master’s Degree in a related topic (Monitoring & Evaluation, Development, Humanitarian Aid, International Relations), you have an extensive experience of 5 years in humanitarian and/or development NGO in MEAL.
- You had proven success in designing implementing and operating MEAL frameworks and experience in capacity building.
- You show strong knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact), data collection, and analysis methods.
- Recognized for your excellent diplomacy, organizational, communication, and representation skills, you have also developed good team management skills. Fluency in English (oral and written) is compulsory.
Specific Conditions / Salary
- Contract: 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Conditions for French Contract:
- Monthly gross salary from 2,450 to 2,800 € upon experience
- +150 € of monthly gross salary as a country allowance
- Per diem and living allowance: 210€ + 329 net, field paid.
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for the non-French citizen.
- + Child allowance limited to 5 children.
Transportation and Accommodation:
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every XXX months).
- Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Technical training at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- Intermission Workshop once a year.
- Participation in external training costs upon eligibility of the request.