International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Assistant
Location: Damboa, Borno
- Under the supervision of WASH Officer, the WASH Assistant will be responsible to participate in hygiene campaigns, to participate in house to house hygiene promotion, and to prepare written material for the field, elaborate clear and adapted message for beneficiaries, as well as oversee the hygiene promotion and other WASH activities conducted by the community volunteers.
The WASH Assistants will be responsible for:
- Selection and training of the Community Hygiene Volunteer (CHV) promoters
- Collection of bio data for both CHV’s and beneficiaries in communities.
- Mobilize the community on behavior change related to hygiene practices.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, drama shows in schools, community and IDP camps in close coordination with community volunteers
- Actively participate with community volunteers in identifying locations/sites for WASH infrastructures (latrines construction/rehabilitation, borehole drilling/rehabilitation, etc.) in the beneficiary communities.
- Conduct focus group discussion, giving clear messages on good hygiene practices.
- Report the progress of the work to supervisor
- Report challenges and successes during the activities, and any other issues that require IMC follow-up/action
- Conduct household assessments.
- Input beneficiaries’ data into spread sheet in preparation for distribution of NFI kits in communities.
- Train and monitor CHV’s on how to conduct hygiene promotion sessions and complete their log sheets properly documenting topics discussed, advice provided, issues of concern for IMC follow-up action, number of attendee’s sessions,
- Collect all CHV’s log sheets on monthly basis and certifying work done by CHV’s.
- Identify the most appropriate messages regarding the target population.
- Organize training sessions and participate in facilitation in IDP camps and host communities.
- Determine the necessary materials needed for each campaign/activity.
- Oversees the distribution of water, hygiene and sanitation items.
- Collect water samples from households and water sources and conduct quality tests using the Del Aqua Kit Record all result of water test
- Complete daily reports on CHV’s evaluation, water testing and NFI distribution.
- Coordinate closely with CHV’s to identify informal settlements in host communities.
- Consult with M & E to providing accurate raw data for impact analysis during post distribution survey and also to provide input for monthly and quarterly WASH reports
- Timely reporting of Hygiene Promotion activities to supervisor/WASH Officer
- Provide support to other areas of the department as may be required by the supervisor.
- B.Sc or HND in Social Sciences, Sciences or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least one (1) year experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or community development experience.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity building at community level.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, water quality monitoring, & community mobilization.
- Communicate well in Hausa & Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time by supervisors
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver IMC’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
Deadline: 30th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are an equal opportunity organization So Borno State Based candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply for this position
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Position: Nigerian nationals only