Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer 1 at Breakthrough ACTION Nigeria
Breakthrough ACTION ignites collective action and encourages people to adopt healthier behavior – from using modern contraceptive methods and sleeping under bed nets to being tested for HIV and preventing the spread of zoonotic diseases – by forging, testing, and scaling up new and hybrid approaches to social and behavior change.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer 1
- The GIS Officer will maintain project database(s) for the consolidation of project-related and GIS data in-country.
- He/she will support the project in the collection and management of spatial datasets, verification, and update of the collected data.
- The GIS Officer will monitor the accuracy of the collected data. In addition, he/she will develop scripts to increase the efficiency of data management, analysis, and visualization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography / GIS or a related discipline.
- 5 years’ experience in GIS / Database management, preferably for an NGO.
- Experience working with GIS applications (QGIS, ARCGIS etc).
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- An eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to understand business needs.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Previous experience with mobile data collection (ODK, ONA, KOBO).
- Knowledge of analytical software packages (R, SPSS, Stata, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience working with ‘relational database management systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills demonstrating the ability to effectively communicate, consult, influence, and negotiate with a wide range of people at all levels with users, suppliers, and service providers.
- Coordinate with state officers to develop and maintain up to date GIS maps of BA-N intervention wards
- Support state offices to develop and monitor ward-level activity coverage plans using population density data.
- Lead the data cleaning and coordination with state offices to ensure data quality from all project data collection initiatives.
- Support state officers to improve data quality at the time of entry
- Prepare Monthly Performance Reports for individual CVs based on activity process indicators, coverage, and completed referrals for use by state offices, including LGA Supervisors.
- Coordinate with state officers to ensure effective use of Monthly Performance Reports to guide adaptive management.
- Lead the analysis of GIS data on SBC activities to identify and report trends in priority behaviors at the cluster, ward, and state level.
- Maintains database performance by troubleshooting problems as well as enforcing standards and controls.
- Keeps senior technical management informed by preparing reports on system performance and recommendation for upgrades/updates to meet changing project needs
- Identify and resolve database issues related to performance and capacity.
- Perform regular audits to ensure data integrity and quality.
- Provide regular updates to management on database project status.
Deadline: 16th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter as one PDF document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “GIS Officer” as the subject of the email
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.