Fresh Careers at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Monitoring And Evaluation Specialist, AHWS0
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50062655
The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
The Hiring Departments / Division(s)
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s.
- The Department consists of two Divisions: AHWS.1 for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS.2 for water security and sanitation, as well as the African Water Facility (AWF).
- AHWS leads the preparation and implementation of water sector Non-Sovereign Operations (NSOs). It also supports regional hubs in operations and in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
- The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will be the focal point person on all issues related to monitoring and evaluation at the Department, providing technical guidance and advice to the sector and Regional Member Countries (RMCs), and supporting regional hubs on WASH interventions to adopt appropriate M&E approaches.
The position of the M&E Specialist has the following work objectives:
- Provide lead role in the measurement, management, analysis and packaging of results data and development impact on WASH for reporting and knowledge management. The function will collaborate with all units in the Department (AHWS.1, AHWS.2 and AWF), other departments in the Bank, and external platforms on development progress of the Bank. The position is imperative in ensuring that M&E protocols, templates, processes, policies, systems and databases are in place, functioning properly and adhered to in the department and by the regional hubs.
- Maintain linkage of the Department and the Bank with global development and M&E platforms to demonstrate the Bank’s contribution of results data to such platforms to track the development progress in the continent towards targeted sustainable development goals relating to WASH.
Duties and Responsibilities
The principal accountabilities and responsibilities for the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist are:
M&E Coordination and Collaboration:
- Coordinate M&E tasks and functions in the Department and the regional hubs, ensuring results reporting across the various sectors of the Department follow appropriate and laid down procedures and practices for data standardization and quality.
- Coordinate Bank efforts to contribute data and information to regional and global M&E initiatives and platforms such as the UN-Water GLAAS, UNICEF/WHO Joint Monitoring Program, AMCOW, and others; and represent the Bank on such platforms.
- Cooperate with other Bank Departments on issues related to measurements, evaluation and knowledge management- BDEV, SNDR, SNOQ, ECMR, ECST, among others.
- Collaborate with internal and external entities to plan and conduct evaluations and other sector studies in the Department, ensuring application of appropriate methodologies, credibility of analysis, and utilization of findings for effective decision making on upscaling, resource allocation, and systematic organizational learning.
Systems Development, Compliance, Quality Control and Reporting:
- Coordinate sector data supply into Bank’s results reporting systems and follow-up with regional hubs for consistent entries to measure progress, outcomes and development impact of the Bank’s interventions on water and sanitation.
- Oversee and manage a Department-wide M&E reporting database across the facets of the Department on WASH, ensuring regular updates as well as accurate generation of information. Ensure availability on the Bank’s Collaboration space.
- Develop key M&E guidance and lend appropriate mentoring and coaching to promote compliance and uptake in the Department.
- Provide quality control for all aspects of M&E and results measurements on the Department’s results metrics included in the Bank’s Result Measurement Framework.
- Analyze project portfolio structure and trends and report to AHWS management.
- Oversee assemblage, analysis, organization and sharing of results of the Department with other Departments and participate in preparation of knowledge products to better tell the Bank’s story.
- Participate in the drafting of AWF and AHWS annual reports and other corporate reports.
M&E Backstopping and Capacity Strengthening:
- Provide backstop to regional hubs on M&E in the generation, collation and analysis of performance data into Bank’s operations and RMF, ensuring appropriate use of M&E protocols and compliance to M&E procedures and mechanisms.
- Liaise with other units in the Bank to deliver top-notch capacity strengthening programs to Department staff, regional hubs and other stakeholders to improve M&E functions in the Department.
- Spearhead processes to integrate findings and lessons from sector evaluations into strategies and operations for increased impact of sector operations.
- Follow-up and report on progress of implementation of the actions from evaluation recommendations in the Management Actions Record System (MARS).
- Cooperate with RMCs in designing and implementing interventions to strengthen country WASH M&E and improving coordination amongst stakeholders
- Assist project teams in the design and management of M&E systems’ interventions.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Statistics, Development Evaluation, Monitoring and Evaluation, International Development, Development Economics; or related disciplines.
- At least six (6) years of experience in the position of M&E in a development organization, including an international NGOs, donor organization or a reputable organization/institution working in core areas of water and sanitation.
- Demonstrable sound knowledge of M&E methodologies and approaches in the global development arena particularly in the area of water and sanitation systems.
- Knowledge of M&E systems and procedures, particularly in relation to donor requirements and reporting on water and sanitation.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Good oral and communication skills, including writing and editing technical development reports. Ability to communicate to influence, motivate and change behavior, by inspiring to create enthusiasm for right work approaches.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of the standard Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and SAP; and in database management.
Job Title: Principal Board Affairs Officer and Committee Secretary – (Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness) Code, PSEG1
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50068481
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including the: Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department / Division
- The role of the Bank’s Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank.
- The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of: (i) the Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section; (ii) a Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; (iii) a Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division; and (iv) a Conferences and Meetings Division.
- This position’s overall objective is to provide secretariat services to the Boards of Governors, the Boards of Directors and the Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness (CODE), including drafting, revising and translating meeting reports while ensuring the proper conduct of meetings of the Boards of Directors, the Boards of Governors and their subsidiary organs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the Principal Board Affairs Officer and Committee Secretary assures the following duties:
- Contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Boards of Directors and Boards of Governors and the Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness (CODE) by enhancing the decision-making process;
- Assist the Chairperson of the Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness (CODE) to prepare and conduct Committee meetings and advise on any relevant matters;
- Prepare background papers, analyses and recommendations to be used by the Committee Chairperson and members;
- Coordinate the activities of the Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness (CODE) and manage the relationship between Senior Management and members;
- Cover Committee meetings, analyse and determine the thrust of discussions/deliberations and then synthesize, and prepare a succinct summary of the main decisions and conclusions reached;
- Contribute to strengthening the effectiveness of the Committee on Operations and Development Effectiveness (CODE) through research and submission of documents on issues under consideration;
- Populate the Board Dashboard and follow up on Committee recommendations;
- Ensure the coverage of relevant Boards of Governors meetings; analyse and determine the thrust of discussions/deliberations and then synthesize and draft the main decisions and conclusions reached;
- Translate the syntheses and reports drafted in the department; and
- Carry out any other assignment required by service exigency.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Communication, Economics, International Relations, Development Studies, Development Finance, Social Science and other related disciplines;
- Have a minimum of six years (6) years of relevant professional experience in similar organizations;
- Be proficient in English and French both written and oral; and have strong and proven translation skills.
- Have sound institutional, policies and operations knowledge.
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Have excellent analytical and drafting skills and be good at summarizing and synthesizing.
- Be able to identify and meet clients’ needs within the framework of established rules while processing reports and identify appropriate solutions and alternatives, when necessary.
- Be able to work efficiently under pressure and be willing to work long hours to meet tight deadlines.
- Be able to multi task, and demonstrate effective problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Show proof of discretion, tactfulness and flexibility in dealing with clients such as the Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors, Ambassadors and Senior Management.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), practical knowledge of SAP systems will be an advantage.
Deadline: 26th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.