Flight Operator at Zipline
We didn’t just build the world’s largest autonomous network, we’re transforming what’s possible with on-demand delivery. Deliver faster, farther—and reach customers, patients, and lives like never before. See how Zipline is changing the way the world thinks about on-demand delivery.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
As a member of Zipline’s Flight Operations team in Kaduna, Nigeria, you’ll be responsible for ensuring that the delivery of medical products to health facilities is done in a safe and timely manner. This will involve working with a team of flight operators to conduct regular pre-flight inspections, launching, and recovery of the drones (aircraft). You’ll be trained to conduct regular maintenance of the drones and other equipment at our site to support ongoing operations. You will be expected to contribute to the continuous improvement of our daily operations and processes to support the growth of our operations as we scale.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Launch and Recovery: You will be responsible for the safe assembly of drones in preparation for 150+ flights, perform critical checks, communicate with Zipline controllers in readiness for flight, launch and disassemble drones on return to the Distribution Center.
- Maintenance of drones and ground equipment: You will be responsible for performing corrective and preventive maintenance: scheduled or unscheduled on Zipline’s Aircraft and Ground Equipment. The maintenance includes but is not limited to Aircraft body maintenance, aircraft wing maintenance, etc.
- Troubleshooting: You will be required to follow troubleshooting guidelines for the drones and ground equipment and collaborate with locally-based and USA based engineering teams to troubleshoot and optimize issues.
- Projects: You may be involved in short-term and long-term projects that involve collaboration across functional teams in efforts to scale drone deliveries to 150+ and improve operational efficiency.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- National Diploma or HND/Degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Electronics/Aerospace Engineering
- You enjoy working in the field and are not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Ability to stay focused, humble, and safety-conscious during 12 hour shifts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and enjoy work that keeps you on your feet
- Ability to maintain focus during extended daily flight operations
- Comfortable troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues with complex, battery-operated machinery
- Extremely process & detail-oriented
- Full professional proficiency in spoken and written English
- Must be eligible to work in Nigeria
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Must be willing and able to work night/weekends shifts
- Must be willing and able to work for a period of not more than 45 hours/week
- This is a full-time position based at one of our distribution centers in Kaduna, Nigeria
- Must be willing to relocate to any of our distribution centers in Kaduna, Nigeria
- Women are encouraged to apply, as we believe a balanced team is critical for success
Once hired you will go through a rigorous training program with Zipline Academy to gain a deep understanding of our history, our mission, our impact, and our UAS systems. The program includes a thorough Flight Operations training that covers different parts of our system and our drone.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position, please apply!
How to apply