The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO-UN) – An intergovernmental organization, FAO has 194 Member Nations, two associate members and one member organization, the European Union. Its employees come from various cultural backgrounds and are experts in the multiple fields of activity FAO engages in. FAO’s staff capacity allows it to support improved governance inter alia, generate, develop and adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide targeted governance support as a resource to country and regional level FAO offices. Headquartered in Rome, Italy, FAO is present in over 130 countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Fishery Policy Specialist (First Programme)
Location: Abuja (FCT)
- Under the general supervision of the Director of Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division (FIA) and the Regional Senior Fishery Officer (FAO Regional Office for Africa) and under the technical guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries & Aquaculture – FIRST Programme based in ECOWAS Commission, the Fishery Consultant will ensure the overall implementation of coherent, integrated policy assistance, capacity development and regional governance of fisheries and aquaculture sector for achieving food and nutrition security and poverty reduction.
- Fisheries, Aquaculture, Food Security and Nutrition.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- In close consultation with the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries and Aquaculture – FIRST Programme, prepare and organize meetings and workshops, and ensure the participation of relevant stakeholders;
- In collaboration with the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries and Aquaculture – FIRST Programme, prepare the terms of references for consultants;
- Supervise the reviewing and editing of technical reports of consultants;
- Contribute to the production of policy briefs and notes on key issues related to fisheries in West Africa;
- Support the organization of visibility actions and the preparation of related materials;
- Support the establishment of a dynamic database of actors, partners, programs, and projects within the fisheries and aquaculture sector in West Africa;
- Support the creation of a framework for cooperation, collaboration and coordination with the main actors involved in the fisheries and aquaculture sector in West Africa;
- Contribute to the improvement of data collection and information on fish consumption and nutritional status of populations
- Support the implementation of the PNIASAN and the ECOWAS Detailed Strategic Framework for the Sustainable Development of Fisheries and Aquaculture in West Africa (CSD-DPA) to improve the contribution of the fisheries and aquaculture sector to food security and nutrition;
- Contribute to the preparation of capacity development tools and manuals related to design, implementation and monitoring of fisheries and aquaculture projects and actions;
- Support the organization of training programs, seminars and workshops to improve human and organizational capacities;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Candidates will be Assessed Against the Following:
- Advanced university degree in natural resource management, fisheries policy and economy, fisheries planning analyst, and/or aquaculture development or closely related area.
- 7 years of experience in fisheries resource management and policy or related field, including experience in organization, coordination and planning of technical meetings and workshops.
- Working knowledge of French and English
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- If you are in possession of language certificate/s from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate/s when submitting the application.
Deadline: 30th November, 2020.