Finance Officer at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Ref No: 210001CI
Location: Ogoja, Cross River
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Post Type: CO
Reports to: Field Manager
Staff directly reporting to this post: 1
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post does not require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
- This position will be responsible for implementing and/or coordinating financial and compliance support functions for the field office.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Responsible for ensuring all payment request are adequately supported in line with SCI procurement manual as well as compliance with donor rules and regulations
- Support the Field Manager and Budget holder in the monthly review of transaction listings and monthly variance analysis.
- Prepare all adjustment journals including reallocations, exchange rate for approval by the Finance Manager.
- Responsible for managing all staff programme advances and ensure proactively reconcile the advance account.
- Coordinate the monthly cash forecast process for the Field office and ensure that there is always adequate funds for the implementation of the projects in the field office
- Attend to all financial related queries from the Field Manager
- Supervise the work of the assistance Finance Assistant/Cashier and in the situation of limited resources perform this role.
- Verify registered transaction and approve posting on Agresso
- Perform all necessary month-end finance related activities
- Reconcile the transaction listing from the general ledger with the vouchers
- Ensure all vouchers are properly referenced and stamped before filing.
- Ensure the field office has in place a voucher approval process and all staff adheres to this working hour.
- Responsible to legally minimise tax liabilities through informed application of tax laws and regulations
- Ensure that all remittances are done within the required timeline
- Ensure the monthly reconciliation of the tax account including PAYE and WHT account
- Manage tax compliance, reporting, and filing works for the organization.
- Act as the key point of contact and support for our local taxation matters
- Act as key point of contact for collection and issuance of Credit note to all Save the Children International Vendors and Suppliers.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor or line manager
- Working Contacts
Internal and External
- All SCI staff
- Auditors, Bank, Government bodies, include regulatory agencies and Vendors.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field;
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in an international NGO, Donor funded projects’ experience is preferred;
- Experience in dealing with international donors is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Quick Books Accounting Package
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Able to work in individual or as part of a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.