Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Security Assistant
Ref No: 200000IO
Job: Operations and Administration
Job Type: Full-time
- The Security Assistant will play a key role ensuring that CRS activities in Borno State are implemented safely and effectively.
- The Security Assistant is responsible for supporting the CRS Security Coordinator for Borno State on operational security issues and sourcing of relevant security information within CRS project activity areas across Borno State.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Supporting the Security Coordinator with collection of information regarding safety and security situation in Borno State as well as on safety & security issues concerning CRS.
- Assist the Security Coordinator with daily tracking and recording of all CRS vehicle field movements.
- Assist the Security Coordinator with follow up of any calls received or made by satellite phone and radio.
- Track staff movements and update security coordinator accordingly.
- Assist the security coordinator in developing, consolidating and implementing security operating procedures and contingency plans.
- Assist the security coordinator in assessing equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure equipment integrity.
- Ensure that responsible guards (Private Security Guards) have the capacities to perform their duties as per the SOPs.
- Conduct monthly safety inspections to verify the integrity of items such as fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors, and inspect CRS facilities in Borno State as it pertains to health and safety.
- Respond to relevant security incidents with information gathering and inform the security coordinator.
- Assist the security coordinator in maintaining a state-wide network of influential actors and accurately and appropriately communicate CRS status and mission in the State.
- Escort field staff on outreach activities, providing security support where necessary.
- Support the identification, establishment and management of context-appropriate approaches to assure CRS facilities are secure.
- Assist the security coordinator in compiling regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) and trend analyses to be submitted to the Head of Office.
- Work closely with CRS field teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Assist the Security Coordinator on safety and security issues and fulfill reporting requirements to the Country Office in Abuja.
Key Working Relationships
- Security Coordinator, Borno Head of Office, Emergency Coordinator, Country Security Manager, Fleet Manager, Program Managers and Officers.
- Works collaboratively with partner counterparts as well as other stakeholders including local leaders and representatives of other local stakeholder groups, including government offices, non-governmental organizations and other agencies in field locations.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the field of community engagement, risk management, safety and security management or other related fields.
- Degree in Criminology, Peace & Security Studies, Political Sciences or related subject.
- Professional Certification in security studies will be an added advantage.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, Emails, Skype, Web researches).
- English and Hausa required; Fulani, Kanuri and/or other local languages
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 25% of the time to field locations in Kaga, Magumeri and Gubio LGAs, and any other future areas of CRS interventions in Borno State.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Observation, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Ability to plan and organize work and write clear and concise reports and communicate effectively (both written and verbal).
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to organize and prioritize a variety of initiatives.
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners, community members and government partners.
- Well-developed knowledge of local community cultures, leaders, customs and practices through prior involvement in the community. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- National Applicants Only
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.