Environmental Health Manager at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Requisition ID: req20867
Location: Yobe / Adamawa
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs and the Government.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Environmental Health Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all EH activities in Yobe and will report to the Senior EH Manager.
- She / He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water, sanitation and hygiene promotion team in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs.
- The position will be based in Damaturu with frequent travels to the field offices and site in Adamawa and Askira Uba LGA operation areas.
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa and Yobe), assist with technical support and capacity building for WASH staff under your direct management.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work especially Health, WPE, Protection and ERD.
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work for your program locations and allocated budgets.
- When requested by the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa and Yobe), provide regular reports, document results, and maintain detailed records of progress and contract payment schedules for activities in the LGAs.
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa and Yobe) establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in areas of operation.
- Ensure that all IRC EH projects in your target LGAs are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE, IRC, Nigerian Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Conduct routine assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs within your target LGAs; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- Follow all technical direction as outlaid in the Borno, Adamawa and Borno (BAY) State EH Strategy for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in IRC supported medical facilities, included the requirements for the mobile health units, IDP sites and host communities including but not limited to drilling, restoration of existing infrastructure, drainage, solid waste management, latrine, shower and pot wash/laundry construction, hygiene campaigns, vector control and hygiene promotion activities;
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Senior Environmental Health Manager (Adamawa and Yobe)
- Position directly supervises: Environmental Health Officers
Indirect Reporting: Grant, Supply Chain and Finance team
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the Adamawa Sr. EH Manager to enable and develop IRC programs
- University Degree / HND in Civil / Environmental Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years professional technical experience in WASH/Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production.
- Minimum of 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting.
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting.
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Proven technical writing skills.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience.
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus
- Certificates or Licenses: applicable to relevant qualification
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- The EH Manager will be based in Damaturu, Yobe State. Damaturu is security phase 3 (ORANGE) so the EH Manager will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in Yobe. Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.