The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer – Assembly, EXCL, PRC, STC
Requisition ID: 578
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P3
Country / Region: ET
Business Unit: The African Union Commission
Directorate / Department: Office of the Secretary to the Commission (OSC)
Purpose of the Job
- The Senior Policy Officer, Summit, EC, PRC, STC shall provide technical and administrative support for the effective management of the Secretariat to the Sub Committees and implementation of their decisions.
- Provide support in the preparation and implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Ensure effective coordination and implementation at continental and regional levels
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders on relevant matters
- Generate and compiles accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Conduct complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepare and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
- Manages and evaluates performances of subordinates
- Provide technical support to the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders
- Support the preparation leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programs and plans.
- Coordinate with relevant Focal Departments (Protocol, DCMP, etc.) for provision of administrative and logistic support to the meetings of the Commission as well as other activities of the PRC and other decision-making organs of the AU
- Ensure coverage, preparation and circulation of reports / conclusions of the meetings of the Commission, of Directors, of the Conference and Event Organizing Committee as well as those of the PRC and its subcommittees;
- Ensure the exchange of information between the Commission, and Departments in terms of outcomes emanating from their respective meetings;
- Liaise with Departments for the substantive preparation of internal meetings of the Commission and of meetings of the other Organs of the Union, so as to ensure the timely submission of the appropriate documents, programme of work, agenda, as well as of the expected outcomes and reports;
- Follow up with departments on the implementation of policy organs decisions and compile reports for submission to the meetings of the Policy Organs;
- Draft Note Verbales, Internal Memos and respond to queries from the AU stakeholders;
- Ensure that the records, documents and conclusions of all internal meetings of the Commission, and meetings of the other Organs, are properly stored and managed;
- Perform any other relevant duties within the Office of the Secretary to the Commission, as may be assigned.
- Respect for Diversity and Teamwork
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing
- Head, Policy Organs Division
- Number of Direct Reports: 2
- Number of Indirect Reports: 0
- Who: Head, Policy Organs Division / frequency: Daily / why: Provides assistance to the Head for adequate implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: PO, Summit, EC and PRC / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: PO, STC / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: JPO, Policy Organs / frequency: Daily / why: Implementation of the mandate of the Division
- Who: OSC staff within the Division / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the mandate of the OSC
- Who: OSC staff outside the Division / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the mandate of the OSC
- Who: DCMP, Protocol, SSSD, DIC, OLC, DIC, AHRM (MIS, Procurement, Travel Unit, Transport Unit), PBFA / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Implementation of the coordination mandate of the office of the Secretary to the Commission
- Who: Other AUC Departments / Directorates / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / Why: Implementation of the coordination mandate of the office of the Secretary to the Commission
- Who: Member States / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: PRC meetings, Retreats
- Who: STCs / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / Why: Meetings of Policy Organs, but particularly meetings of STCs
- Who: Non Member States / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Participation to Partnership and Summit meetings;
- Who: UN agencies and other international organizations / frequency: Daily, weekly, monthly or as and when required / why: Participation to Partnership and summit meetings.
Academic Requirements & Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Political Sciences, Management, Business Administration, International Relations or in related Social sciences with at least 7 (seven) years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience, with at least 3 (three) years in a position requiring supervisory responsibility.
- Bachelor’s Degree in similar fields of study coupled with 10 (ten) years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience, with 3 (three) years of supervisory responsibility.
- Proven experience in the working systems of international public organisations.
- Experience in organizing high-level meetings, production of reports and dissemination, very good understanding and knowledge on records and information management
- Interpersonal skills
- Drafting and communication skills
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- The African Union working languages are Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another or more AU language is an added advantage.
- Building Relationships
- Communicating with Influence
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Continuous Improvement Orientation
- Drive for Result
- Job Knowledge and Information Sharing
- Change Management
- Developing Others
- Managing Risk
- Strategic Insight
Least Representative Countries:
- Candidates from the following least represented countries at the African Union Commission are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial, Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Saharawi Arab D.R., Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, and South Sudan
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of with the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. It may be changed by the role manager during employment on an as-needed basis.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 P3 (Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (40% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88 per annum, education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for every eligible dependent for national and locally recruited staff.
Job Title: Accountant Assistant (Finance and Accounting)
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Department: African Court on Human And People’s Rights
Post Level: GSA5
Supervisor: Finance Officer
Division: Finance and Administration Division
- African Court on Human And People’s Rights – The Court was established by virtue of Article I of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, adopted on 9 June 1998 and which came into force on 25 January 2004.
- It is the first continental judicial body charged with the responsibility of ensuring the protection of huma, nd peoples’ rights. The Court became operational in 2006 and its seat is in Arusha, in the United Republic of Tanzania.
- Help carry out day-to-day finance and accounting activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Finance and Administration Division and under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer (Finance and Accounting), the Accountant Assistant (Finance and Accounting) will perform the following duties:
- Maintain and update of the organization commitment ledgers to ensure accuracy of the information regarding committed expenditure at all times.
- Assist in monitoring of financial commitments in keeping with relevant allocations and approved financial regulations.
- Assist in carrying out bank reconciliations.
- Assist in the verification of various financial transactions.
- Help produce management accounts reports.
- Provide the necessary information to deal with audit claims.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Candidates must have an Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education or equivalent. A professional qualification in accounting or in finance or in related disciplines would be an added advantage.
- Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
Other relevant skills:
- Demonstrate professionalism abilities
- Concentration, accuracy, and working under minimum supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment
- Good communication, planning and organizational skills;
- Respect for confidentiality and good public relations;
- Excellent knowledge of international organizations;
- Computer literacy.
- An excellent command of at least one of the African Union (AU) working languages. Knowledge of one or several other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be a regular appointment for a period of three (3) years, the first twelve months of which will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance.
- The African Court is an equal opportunity employer; qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (42% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$1,401.12 per month),education allowance (100% of the school fees up to a maximum of US$10000.00 per child per annum to a maximum of four (4) children of up to 21 years maximum)spouse allowance (5% of the basic salary, child Allowance (US$ 250 per annum per child up to four (4) children aged 21years maximum,etc. in accordance with the Rules and Regulations governing International Civil Servants of the African Union.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following:
- A letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the Court;
- A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender (comply with requirements for candidates wishing to apply for posts in the Court);
- Names and contact details (including email address) of three referees;
- Certified copies of degree and diplomas.
Applications should be submitted not later than the closing date above and should be addressed to the postal address or email indicated hereunder:
African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights,
P.O. Box. 6274 Arusha,
Tel : + 255 27 2970 430/431/432/433/434
Job Title: Secretary – AfCFTA Secretariat
Reference Code: AfCFTA (11.17.2020) 08
Location: Accra, Ghana
Contract type: Regular (Long Duration)
Employment Fraction: Full time
Branch: The AfCFTA Secretariat
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
- The African Continental Free Trade Area Secretariat (AfCFTA Secretariat) is established under article 13 of the AfCFTA Agreement as a functionally autonomous institutional body within the African Union Systems with an independent legal personality.
- The Secretariat is responsible for the implementation of the AfCFTA Agreement. In seeking to achieve its objective the AfCFTA Secretariat intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its structure and the filling of vacant posts.
- The AfCFTA Secretariat through the African Union commission invites qualified and competent applicants who are citizens of Member States of the African Union with relevant skills, competencies and experiences to submit their applications for the position of the Secretary based at its headquarters in Accra, Ghana.
To provide secretarial and clerical support services to the assigned supervisor or department for its effective functioning.
Main Duties And Responsibilities
- Draft responses to routine correspondences for the signature of the supervisors;
- Attend visitors and staff and provide them with basic information on relevant issues and procedures; Assist in the follow up on logistical arrangements, activity implementation and provision of updates; Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondences and documents;
- Respond to and screen various correspondences such as telephone calls, e-mail messages and ensure follow up with supervisors and partners;
- Keep an up to date diary of appointments for supervisors;
- Keep equipment in use in good condition and report on defects for maintenance and other necessary action;
- Provide day to day routine administrative supports to various work units of the assigned Department / Division / Units;
- Ensure availability of stationery stock, equipment and furniture in offices assigned;
- Perform reception services where required; and
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibility as may be assigned.
Academic Qualification And Work Experience Required:
- Diploma in Administrative Services, Office Management, Secretarial and Clerical related studies with 3 years of relevant secretarial work experience in public organization, diplomatic mission, international organization or international non-governmental organizations.
- Candidates who are holder of bachelor’s degree in Administrative Services, Office Management, Secretarial and Clerical related studies are required to have a minimum of 2 years of relevant secretarial work experience in public organization, diplomatic mission, international organization or international non-governmental organizations.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of computer office applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point Sound planning and organizational skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication ability both orally and in writing
- Excellent team player and able to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Decision maker, firm yet flexible, confident;
- Be able to manage stress.
- Strong personality but friendly, polite and patient;
- Work quickly, accurately and efficiently, meeting tight deadlines;
- Be able to work unsupervised on your own initiative;
- Applicants must be proficient in one of the following African Union working languages; Arabic, English, French or Portuguese. Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two-years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$12,834.00 per annum plus other related entitlements applicable for internationally and locally recruited staff e.g. education allowance and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent child (up to a maximum of US$ 10, 000.00 per child per annum etc. for internationally recruited staff) and (up to maximum of US$ 3,300.00 per child per annum for locally recruited staff of the African Union.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
Deadline: 21st December 2020.
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
Application Procedures and Notice
- Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
- Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission Addis Ababa, Ethiopia