The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Editor, Gist
Job Reference: BBC/TP/788771/49861
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed term
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- Gist Nigeria is BBC Africas pioneer co-production with a dynamic team that produces stories being talked about for the social media generation.
- This role will editorially lead TV and digital news content for Nigeria and other African countries.
- As Editor you will co-ordinate, plan and guide all coverage whilst leading and motivating a team of journalists to produce high quality content and to encourage original journalism and distinctive, innovative storytelling.
- You will develop a lively and engaged social media approach to news coverage working very closely with the Languages digital teams.
- Being a key point of liaison with the best possible communication between the BBC and partners you will ensure that editorial and legal guidelines of both broadcasters are met.
- Seeking out opportunities for more efficient ways of working in a multi-platforms multilingual environment you will work with the rest of the management team to build an open, collaborative and creative culture.
Are you the right candidate?
- To excel in this role you will need to demonstrate an outstanding track record of delivering high impact, multiplatform News content for an African audience.
- You will have the ability to deliver editorial innovation and develop great digital and TV content while stimulating new thinking about news journalism.
- It will be important for you to lead, inspire and manage a great team of journalists whilst being able to demonstrate you can manage budgets and observing tight financial targets;
- As Editor you will need to have a solid understanding of top Nigerian, African and international news and how to maximize their potential.
Deadline: 15th July, 2020.