Cost Controller at Four Points by Sheraton
Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
Marriott has more than 361,000 people working worldwide at managed or franchised properties and corporate offices. Marriott has been consistently recognized as a top employer and for its superior business ethics. The company also manages the award-winning guest loyalty program, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® program, which together surpass 49M members.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cost Controller
Job Number: 22089542
Location: Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
Job Category: Finance & Accounting
Brand: Four Points
Position Type: Management
Located Remotely?: N
- The position champions and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees.
- The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives while maximizing the return on investment.
Core Work Activities
Supporting Strategic Planning and Decision Making:
- Analyzes financial data and market trends.
- Assists in analyzing information, forecasts sales against expenses and creates annual budget plans.
- Compiles information, analyzes and monitors actual sales against projected sales.
- Assists in developing means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
- Analyzes differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
- Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans
- Protects and strengthens our competitive advantage by advocating and supporting sound business and financial decision making.
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
Leading Accounting Teams:
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Communicates the goals and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner.
- Provides excellent leadership by assigning team members and other departments managers’ clear accountability backed by appropriate authority.
- Holds staff accountable for successful performance.
Developing and Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals:
- Supports property strategy from a finance and accounting perspective
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Ensures Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Ensures appropriate corrections are made to audit results if necessary.
- Reviews audit issues to ensure accuracy.
Managing Projects and Policies:
- Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Generates and providing accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Ensures compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
Anticipating and Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders:
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, guests, etc.).
- Understands the owners’ perspective and ROI expectations.
- Anticipates and addresses owner needs and involves ownership in key decisions.
- Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the executive team, the property’s strategies and to lead own team.
- Advises the GM and executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
- Facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team.
- Attends owners meetings in order to provide context and explanation for financial results.
- Attends meetings and communicates with the owners, understanding the priorities and strategic focus.
- Demonstrates a commitment to meeting the needs of all key stakeholders.
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities:
- Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
- Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
Education and Experience:
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; no work experience required.