Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant, COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Monitoring
Ref No: req12283
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Project Overview and Role
- Data for Implementation (Data.FI) is a five-year project funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that helps countries strengthen and sustain access to mission-critical, high-quality data to accelerate HIV and COVID-19 epidemic control.
- The project provides end-to-end solutions from streamlining information needs to building scalable data systems, and supports global monitoring, evaluation and learning through the development of global guidance, indicators, tools and research.
- Data.FI has recently begun a project to assess the current practices and system for recording, reporting, sharing, and using data on adverse events following immunization (AEFIs) for COVID-19 vaccines. The activity will showcase the approaches, challenges, and implementation strategies of COVID-19 vaccine safety surveillance systems in Nigeria.
- The consultant will lead communication with in-country stakeholders, lead quantitative and qualitative data collection efforts on vaccine safety monitoring, assist in negotiations on data sharing, and support the revision and adaptation of technical documents.
- Data.FI is seeking a consultant to support the review of data practices related to vaccine safety surveillance systems in Nigeria. The expected duration of support is 6 months.
- The position is based in Nigeria. The consultant(s) will perform the responsibilities listed below with oversight and direction from the US-based Technical Advisors and Activity Managers.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Lead communication with in-country stakeholders, including representatives from the Ministry of Health/Expanded Programme on Immunization, National Regulatory Authorities, and donor partner representatives involved in safety monitoring.
- Advise on adaptation of assessment tools to ensure they fit the local context
- Support the development and approval of data sharing agreements
- Develop solutions for anticipated and unanticipated challenges with data access
- Map the data flow and data reporting processes for COVID-19 safety data
- Lead the collection of quantitative and qualitative data for the COVID-19 AEFI data assessment.This may include field work to carry out data validation exercises and conducting in-depth interviews with relevant stakeholders, including representatives from national regulatory authorities and the national immunization program.
- Document interviews with detailed notes and synthesis of themes across interviews.
- Contribute to data analysis, including creating summaries and visualizations of data.
- Review and provide input on assessment findings and final reports, including recommendations to address identified weaknesses in COVID-19 AEFI data systems and processes.
- Advanced University Degree in Public Health or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of vaccine program delivery in Nigeria, with at least 5 years of professional experience working for or with the health system, knowledge and expertise in vaccines, and working with the public sector highly desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety monitoring and/or mechanisms for reporting AEFIs in Nigeria.
- Proven ability to engage and work with MOH officials, USAID, other donors, and implementing partners.
- Demonstrated experience conducting rigorous quantitative and qualitative data quality and verification assessments, including experience conducting systems assessments and key informant interviews.
- High-level fluency in written and spoken English.
- Experience working on donor-funded projects preferable.
Skill and Abilities:
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills, including experience with key informant interviews.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with diverse stakeholders (written and oral).
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities often within a limited timeframe.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in team settings
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a fast-moving and multicultural team.
Application Closing Date