Communications Head at the Elevation Church
The Elevation Church has been set up by God to develop its members as witnesses of Christ to the general public while empowering them to not only achieve the highest levels of distinction and greatness in life but to work actively with the church to establish community development initiatives to set other individuals on their own paths to greatness.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Communications
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Ensure efficient articulation of the specific vision, plans and objectives of the Church
- Evolve new and innovative strategies for excellent internal and external communications execution.
- Evolve strategies to expand TEC to a global brand with reach and products that can be pushed to every continent.
- Evolve strategic partnerships with stakeholders in the communications space in and outside Nigeria to further drive the Church agenda.
- Identify communication gaps in the existing church structure and plug them
- Work with leadership team to identify priorities and set direction for communications efforts on behalf of the TEC
- Managing, planning, directing, controlling and implementing a proactive communication program to enhance the reputation of TEC
- Providing detailed reports of communications activities, including return-on-investment analyses;
- Develop and manage the annual communications/marketing budget
- Evolve communications strategies for TEC programmes and events to guarantee the best possible outcome.
- Responsible for planned and coherent approach to the creation of the Church publications. Should provide editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all publications.
- Ensure consistent expression across various channels of communication, co-ordinate appearance of all Church’s print and electronic materials.
- Serve as project manager for communication related initiatives.
- Prepare detailed media activity reports.
- Work extensively with the Head, Production to provide direction for the production of church media.
- Previews all church multimedia output before broadcasting and/or publishing.
Digital Content Management:
- Must provide leadership to the Head, Digital Marketing, to achieve the church’s digital content creation and marketing strategy. This includes but is not limited to:
- Evolving penetration strategies to take TEC content to other parts of the world.
- Evolve a winning strategy to build TEC’s online community.
- Ensuring alignment with overall communications strategy
- Oversee the content creation on all digital media platforms and ensure cohesion across all other communications platforms.
- Deliver on the church’s objectives to be at the cutting edge of digital media marketing.
- Manages the Digital media, graphics and communications team with a view to providing leadership, oversight and achieving set goals.
- Responsible for evolving strategies and execution plans for each sub-team.
- Hold weekly and monthly meetings with team members and generate a monthly report on the achievement of set goals.
- Provide assistance and counsel to team members as needed
- Set the example for an environment of creativity, innovation and problem-solving.
- Establish performance parameters for the team in form of KPIs and periodically provide feedback to ensure enhanced performance.
- Identify the development needs of team members and ensure that these are fulfilled in a planned manner.
- Work with HR to create platforms for knowledge, training, and best practice sharing within the team
- Identify and deploy programs for improving the engagement level of team members.
- Work with several expressions and volunteer teams to provide needed communications support.
- Produce content for distribution through several information channels and platforms. Content could be gathered through several mechanisms.
- Work with Head, Production to evolve shows, programs, and initiatives that can be used on various channels, including radio, TV and other relevant channels.
- Drive the implementation of the publicity strategy of the church. Ensure that all publicity media and materials are properly produced, maintained and updated with current information.
- Overseeing internal and external communications and presentations, overseeing digital communication, including the content for the church website, social media, elev8 magazine, invitation cards, posters, brochures and fliers;
- Maintaining extensive and positive relationships with national and international media;
- Maintain the public relations function of TEC, establishing and maintaining active relationships with secular, denominational, and interfaith media.
- This role will work closely with an external PR agency to plan and deliver proactive media relations campaigns, as well as work with them to react to emerging news stories when required.
- PR support will be provided for TEC, her affiliates.
- Develop and deliver a periodic PR strategy with the agency, ensuring alignment between the agency and the Church’s vision and values
- Responsible for the day to day management of the contract and arrangements with the PR agency
- Develop and manage media relations in collaboration with the PR agency and other stakeholders.
- Work with third parties (e.g. volunteer experts) to further enhance the PR of the Church.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the communications function
- Be responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of Church communication and developing systems for such evaluation
- Ensure proofing and quality assurance and overall adherence to TEC brand standards
- Develop and coordinate in-house communications
- Provide strategic motivational leadership to the FM Team
Skills and Knowledge
- Post-Graduate Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations / Public Affairs, Journalism or other related disciplines
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in communications and media management.
- Experience working with large, cross-functional teams is a must.
- Solid professional experience required including experience producing digital content and managing social accounts for organisations.
- Experience of writing, editing and producing written communications for targeted audiences.
- Experience producing for the web and a basic working knowledge of software packages for page formatting, image management, videos, and content preparation (HTML, Photoshop, Sharepoint, and similar software preferred,).
- Experience successfully building, coaching, and motivating high performing teams while holding employees accountable
- Experience of setting and working with branding guidelines.
- Understanding of the need for and value of a visual identity and branding.
- Experience leading in a faith-based environment (even if in a volunteer capacity) is very desirable.
- Must have the ability to speak English to an advanced and sophisticated level, both written and verbal.
- Should demonstrate the ability to communicate or engender communications with different people groups to achieve set objectives.
- Must have expert writing and editing skills verifiable at a professional level.
- Advanced communications and collaboration skills across a range of audiences.
- Ability to conceptualise, create and deliver an organisational communications strategy.
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and team skills.
- Strong organizational, administrative and problem-solving skills
- An in-depth understanding and problem-solving approach to project management as it relates to complex, multifunctional project
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct, and lively style.
- Proven experience in designing, developing and producing written materials using different software and/or formatting tools (e.g. Adobe, HTML, MS Outlook).
- Ability to conceptualize and execute the online packaging of content.
- Knowledge and applied work experience in social media principles sufficient to execute, lead or advise others in assuring that upcoming online communication and audience engagement tools and channels are fully leverage
- Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably handle/juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates creative and critical thinking skills. Must pay attention to details.
- Strong relationship management, strategy development, project management, problem-solving and change management skills.
Attitude and Behavioural Traits:
- Must be a dedicated Christian, and understand that this role requires leadership not only in the office space but also in the ministry space. Should have a strong desire to help fulfil the church’s mission.
- Must abhor making excuses. Must possess grit and an innate drive to ‘win’ and achieve goals. Must be driven by a “conceive and achieve” mindset.
- Must be visionary. This person is responsible for setting the direction and the tone of the church’s messaging across all available channels. Must be imaginative, compassionate, creative, eloquent, and determined.
- Must have a creative, fun-loving, youthful, spirit. Being the leader of a creative team, a certain amount of whimsy is needed. Must be amiable, able to joke, think outside the box, take calculated, ‘crazy’ risks and think in colour. Must be able to inspire the genius in others.
- Must possess the quality of being wise. Must be able to conduct him/herself appropriately and to advise others where wisdom and leadership is required.
- Must be a role model. Must exemplify a positive attitude, be a self-starter, display high levels of self-leadership, be assertive and be committed to excellence.
- Must be patient, empathetic, yet dogged. Must display tact and diplomacy especially when working with volunteers.