Business Development Officer at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international charity. We support the independent media essential to democracy and development; and support people facing insecurity, inequality and poverty with information they can trust – to protect health, bridge divides and challenge prejudice. With our partners, we reach millions through creative communication and trusted media, helping people have their say, understand their rights, responsibilities and each other, and take action to transform their own lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Business Development Officer
Job Reference: BBC / TP / 788768 / 57853
Contract: Fixed-term employment until August 2023
Job Category: External Communications
Business Unit: News – MediaAction
- Reports to Senior Partnerships Manager, Business Development with a dotted line to Head of Communications.
- We are currently expanding our business development team, with a view to growing our work around the world.
- We are now looking for a business development officer with strong experience in design and communication, to join our central business development team and support colleagues across the organisation with the development, design and delivery of partnership communication materials.
- The role will contribute to winning business for BBC Media Action, to help grow our work on climate change, humanitarian relief, media development, governance, health, gender equality and other important themes.
- In this role, reporting to a Senior Partnerships Manager with a dotted line to the Head of Communications, you’ll work closely with the business development team on the development, design and delivery of proposals, bids and presentations for key donors and partners.
- We’ll look to you to help us create and develop relationships with donors as well as consortium and delivery partners, and to work with teams across the organisation.
- Most of your time will be spent on editing and design, but you will also have the opportunity to help shape and contribute to our annual calendar of events and donor engagement opportunities.
- Our country teams will rely on you for support and advice on design, marketing and branding, and tools and resources that you create to support business development.
The Ideal Candidate:
- You have a strong portfolio of excellent design work with creative flair, are experienced in Adobe Creative Suite, and keep up-to-date with trends in communication and design.
- An effective communicator, you will have experience developing communications materials that drive revenue and engagement, and can talk through your design decisions effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Highly organised, and excellent at planning and prioritisation, with a good eye for detail, you understand what it means to produce content to BBC editorial standards, including copy-editing and proof-reading.
- And you have experience of managing key internal stakeholders at every level, ideally developed while working across a global organisation.
- To deliver a programme of corporate communication to key opinion-formers and stakeholders.
- Helps to identify and maximise opportunities to promote an understanding and approval of the BBC’s purpose and achievements as a major public and cultural organisation.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Undertake the drafting of communications (i.e. briefings, AV materials, key messages, etc.) tailored to a wide range of communication channels and audiences, acting as a day to day link within the central corporate hub and teams.
- You’ll be a specialist in your area, able to provide advice, use your initiative and generate your own ideas to get important messages across.
- Capture information and feedback from internal and external contacts relating to communication campaigns or general communications.
- Research and organise corporate/press/public facing events and activities, including responsibility for producing and managing small to large scale events (i.e. researching guest lists and venues, guest liaison, writing briefings, risk assessments, coordinating brand assets, using social media at events when appropriate) and leading on creative and sourcing materials.
- Maintaining and refreshing databases of opinion-formers, getting feedback from events and establishing regular communication between the BBC and them; producing and distributing newsletters to opinion-formers from senior stakeholders in the regions.
- Translate complex data into easy to understand material for presentation or communications.
- To work flexibly as a member of the designated communications team, supporting the delivery of mutual objectives and assuming additional project responsibility as necessary.
- Ensure centrally held data is accurate and complete, regularly updating database to ensure compliance with the BBC’s data protection policy.
- Monitor any incoming enquiries to central inbox(s), responding to and fielding enquiries where appropriate, referring sensitive materials to the appropriate level/contact.
- Providing administration assistance to team as required.
- Support the running of social media channels and assist with the production of assets for use online and in social media.
- Work closely with teams across BBC Media Action to develop and deliver effective partner and donor engagement materials, as part of a strategic business development programme to realise targets for donor income.
- Design presentations and funding proposals with keen attention to detail.
- Lead the production of distinctive communications for a variety of platforms, tailored to the interests of priority donor audiences. (i.e. briefings, audio-visual materials, key messages, etc).
- Contribute to the management of a year-round calendar of events/engagement to support donor engagement.
- Keep up to date with emerging industry trends in relation to design and communication.
- Share design expertise and creative solutions with colleagues across BBC Media Action, specifically as it relates the production of business development/donor engagement materials.
- Be accountable for the quality of your work and ensure it meets intended purposes.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Experience of managing key internal stakeholders at every level and developing communications materials that drive revenue and engagement.
- Effective organisational, planning and prioritisation skills to manage a varied and pressurised workload.
- Effective communication skills.
- Highly focused with good attention to detail, including copy-editing and proof-reading in English to BBC editorial standards.
- Portfolio evidence of excellent design work demonstrating creative flair.
- Able to deliver different approaches and design styles.
- Able to talk through your design decisions with a diverse range of people; evidence of successfully collaborating and sharing your ideas.
- An experienced user of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Diplomatic and persuasive, able to build objective lines of argument/rationales for action and present viewpoints tactfully and assertively.
- Experience of working in a target-driven environment.
- Understanding of the importance of the BBC’s values in accuracy and impartiality.
- A passion for and a understanding of the role of media and communication in development.
- Keep pace with latest design trends and technology developments.
- Relevant Degree or equivalent experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience:
- Strong background in organising events of varying sizes and for different audiences
- Relevant experience of drafting communications (i.e. speeches, articles and other forms of communication) for senior executives, for publication by a wide range of outlets to short notice and tight deadlines.
- Computer literate with strong office skills including the ability to examine and interpret complex data, including financial data, and translate into easy to understand materials.
- Experience of producing concise and well-crafted written briefs and presentations using a wide range of media.
- Highly organised and focused with good attention to detail.
- Able to work on own initiative and forge strong links with key internal teams and stakeholders.
- Excellent social skills, both face-to-face and on the phone.
- A comprehensive understanding of the Data Protection Act.
- A good working knowledge and use of social media for promoting content and news stories.
The successful applicant will be employed and based in their home country, with salary set according to BBC Media Action’s pay scales in that country.
Deadline: 10th January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance.
- This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.