Air to Ground Consultant at Center for Civilians in Conflict
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Air to Ground Consultant
Employment Type: Contract
- As the Nigerian military continues its response against Armed Opposition Groups, there has been increased used of Close Air Support, which increases the risks to civilians as was evidenced by the high-profile Rann incident in January 2017. As such, CIVIC will develop tailor-made modules for NAF pilots conducting air operations.
- The modules will emphasize the increased vulnerability of civilians from the use of airpower while creating an interactive learning space for approaches to mitigate civilian harm in their operations through the training of NAF personnel on Air Ground Integration.
- The assignment is in Abuja, Nigeria with the possibility of travel to other locations within Nigeria, especially the North East.
- The consultant will assist in the development of modules and instruction materials on Air Ground Integration for Nigerian Air Force personnel and other members of the Nigerian Armed Forces. This is with a view to further develop Nigeria’s detailed air to ground operations training and education.
Purpose of the Consultancy / Terms of Reference
- The overall objective of the consultancy is to develop Standard Training materials on Air Ground Integration (AGI) for personnel of the Nigerian Air Force, with basic and advanced modules for specialized personnel, and pilot the training for selected personnel. This will also involve an initial mapping of past and current AGI and related training offered by the Nigerian Air Force training institutes and other entities.
The consultant will be working with the Senior Military Adviser and the training team, the successful consultant will develop and deliver the above listed outputs in accordance with the below outlined timeframe and specifications. Specifically, the consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Undertake consultative and planning meetings with Nigerian Air Force and identified key stakeholders to be engaged in the process;
- Present the draft modules to key stakeholders (NAF and CIVIC) for validation and incorporate inputs;
- Undertake a pilot training for aircrew and related personnel of the Nigerian Air Force on AGI.
- Generate a final report with an evaluation of the pilot training and recommendations.
- Inception report (including workplan, training concept and proposed outline, mapping of past/existing AGI training).
- Map past and current existing training, resources, courses and materials on AGI and related topics for aircrew and related personnel;
- Draft a training modules on AGI, which will include for trainers and participants;
- Training and capacity needs assessment report (develop questionnaire and undertake quick training needs assessment of AGI).
- Draft Training modules for the conduct of the training
- Presentation and Validation of the draft modules with NAF and CIVIC.
- Final Training modules.
- Pilot training for select Aircrew and NAF selected personnel.
- Final report and evaluation of pilot training.
Experience & Qualifications
- Graduate of Senior Professional Military Education (Nigerian or Foreign Equivalent of National Defense College or Service War College, such as Air Force War College Nigeria).
- At least ten (10) years’ experience in doctrine drafting, targeting processes, air to ground operations integration, to include practical operational experience and/or theoretical knowledge of target identification, target vetting, command, and control, and coordinating strikes on targets in a combat environment e.g., Close Air Support.
- Experience in the design and delivery of high-quality training to the Nigerian Armed Forces
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multicultural teams.
- Experience in engaging and managing relationships with the Nigerian Armed Forces.
- Current operational experience in internal security operations (ISO) inside Nigeria (defined as serving in ISO within the last 4 years, experience in the Northeast preferred).
- Two (2) years’ experience as a military instructor in Operational Law, International Humanitarian Law, and targeting and Collateral Damage Estimates.
- Experience training on protection of civilians or International Humanitarian Law or serving as Directing Staff at a military institution is strongly desirable, Flexibility, cultural awareness, and sensitivity.
- Experience in military Tactical operations planning and execution.
- Strong personal network within the Nigerian Armed Forces in general and the Nigerian Air Force in particular.
- Experience training Nigerian Armed Forces required.
- Post Graduate Degree (or bachelor’s with requisite experience) and at least 9 years of related experience required.
- Knowledge of Military Aid to Civilian Authorities (MACA) operations
- Knowledge of network compliance and services simulating real-world combat environment
- Familiarity with Operational Design is desirable.
- Prior experience working at a non-profit desirable.
- Demonstrated experience networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- This consultancy is expected to be accomplished within a time frame of 60 working days.
- Payment will be disbursed after the completion of agreed deliverables.
- Please note that CIVIC will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue (FIR) a 5% withholding for individual consultant and 10%Tax for a Limited Liability Company from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Deadline: COB 19th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested consultants should send their expression of interest (EOI) along with a detailed resume as attached MS word documents and a copy of previous work done in a similar area to: firstname.lastname@example.org The title must be expressly stated as the subject of the email quoting reference AGI12021. Any application without quoting the reference code will be disqualified.
Note: Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.