African Union (AU) recruitment for Secretary (IPED)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secretary (IPED)
Reference Code: 30002171 / IPED / 003
Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Employment Fraction: Full-time
Contract Type: Regular (Long Duration)
Project: Perform secretarial and office administration / Management duties
- The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African states as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
- In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
- Type and proof read documents, reports, correspondences, messages, queries, etc. as may be required by assigned supervisors;
- Keep an up to date diary of appointments for supervisors and other senior staff of the division;
- Keep equipment in use in good condition and report on defects for maintenance and other necessary action;
- Provide day to day routine administrative supports to various work units of the assigned Department / Division / Units
- Perform reception services where required
- Draft responses to routine correspondences for the signature of the supervisors;
- Receive guests / visitors / staff and provide them with basic information on relevant Issues and procedures;
- Maintain a proper filing and recording system for all incoming and outgoing correspondes and documents;
- Answer and screen telephone calls / E-mail messages and ensure follow up with supervisors and partners;
- Perform any other relevant duty / responsibility assigned.
Educational Qualification and Work Experience Required:
- A minimum of Diploma in Secretarial since plus A higher qualification will be an added advantage;
- Typing Speed: 50 words per minutes
- Excellent secretarial and office management skills;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant secretarial experience in a Government, public sector or international organisation.
Other Relevant Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent computer literacy Experience Microsoft office applications
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Good knowledge of the workings of international organisations;
- Capacity to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment;
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Proficiency of two or more of the other working language(s) would be an added value.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract shall be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Least Representative Countries:
- Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 12,096.00 (GSA4 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements-e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($12,009.60 per annum), education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission.
Deadline: 9th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application
To submit your application:
- Create an account via the link above (Click here to see instructional video)
- Fill out your personal information and the application form
Application Procedures and Notice
- Attach detailed and updated Curriculum Vitae / Resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not 4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills.
- Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening.
- Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.