African Development Bank Group (AfDB) Recent Job Recritment
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Board Affairs & Advisory Services Officer (Head, Board Advisory Services Section)
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Number: 50093588
Position Grade: PL3
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group.
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department;
- Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department;
- Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal;
- Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate;
- General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department;
- Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department:
- The role of the Banks’ Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy, High 5s, and Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank.
- The Secretary General and the General Secretariat is comprised of: (i) the Immediate Office of the Secretary General which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section; (ii) a Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; (iii) a Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division; and (iv) a Conferences and Meetings Division.
The overall purpose of this job is to be responsible for overseeing the work of the section in providing secretariat services for the Boards of Governors, the Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs, which include, but are not limited to:
- Covering the statutory meetings of the Boards and their subsidiary organs and the preparation and translation of official records of their proceedings.
- Providing support to Committees of the Boards from programming through to recommendations from meetings and their follow-up.
- Contribute to speeches and information notes on Board-related matters for use by the Offices of the President and Senior Vice President.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Board Affairs and Proceedings, the key duties and responsibilities of Chief Board Affairs & Advisory Services Officer are to:
- Supervise and revise the work of Board Affairs Officers and relevant support staff.
- Provide advice to the Division Manager and the Secretary General on the development of analytical frameworks for Board and Board Committee meetings.
- Plan, organize and supervise the provision of support to the Chairs and Committees of the Boards from programming through to recommendations from meetings and their follow-up.
- Contribute to the Development of annual work programs of committees.
- Draft analytical summaries, edit and harmonize the records of the proceedings of the Boards of Governors, the Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs as well as other Bank group sponsored meetings.
- Conduct research from various sources; attend relevant Board meetings, analyze and determine the thrust of the discussions/deliberations and then synthesize, draft/compose the main decisions and conclusions reached.
- Organize and write up clear, objective, concise and accurate summaries as well as draft flash reports within tight timeframes.
- Develop and propose methods and strategies for strengthening the effectiveness of Board sub-committees.
- Provide technical inputs for Board committees and carefully document the follow up of their recommendations.
- Prepare the documents to be presented by the Committee chairs to the meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Ensure the coverage of other high level meetings of the Bank, analyze the deliberations and draft the official minutes, final declaration or communiqués of the said meetings.
- Prepare speeches and information notes on Board-related matters for use by the Offices of the President and Senior Vice President.
- Serve as Secretary to AMBD (Administrative Matters concerning the Board of Directors) Committee.
Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Languages, Corporate Law, Economics, Development Studies, Development finance, Social Science or other related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in similar organizations, with solid analytical and conceptual abilities.
- Sound knowledge of Multilateral Development Banks’ rules, policies and procedures and the functioning of their Secretariat.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with the organization of work and internal procedures of the Board of Directors and the Board of Governors of the Bank or similar institutions.
- Strong and proven translation skills; capacity for the development of analytical frameworks, keen analytical and editing ability.
- Ability to provide lead on report writing and language-related technical issues and engage with clients within the Institution.
- Demonstrate high level of technical competence and dedication to duty and mentor colleagues to develop positive document preparation competences.
- Ability to identify and meet the clients’ report processing needs and suggest appropriate solutions as well as alternatives when necessary.
- Ability for team work in a multicultural and diversified environment and a balanced judgment.
- Should exercise discretion, tactfulness and flexibility, and be able to sell his/her view point to others.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP (or other integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages) is an added advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline: 22nd March, 2022.
Note: This position is classified International Status and attracts International Terms and Conditions of employment.