The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Associate (Fleet) – G6
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Fixed-term
- This job is found in Area Offices (AOs), Country Offices (COs) and Regional Bureaux (RBs). The Job holders report to a Head of Unit, Chief or Administration Officer.
- At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
- Job holders have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided.
- Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
- To provide on-going substantive supervision of a team of staff; Provide technical recommendations on fleet management issues and resolve problems with minimal guidance received from the supervisor.
Key Accountabilities (Not All-Inclusive)
- Provide technical assistance in WFP vehicle fleet management including vehicle insurance and vehicle database operation;
- Ensure that maintenance of WFP vehicles is affected in a timely and efficient manner, and vehicles are technically ready for operation including insurance documents and drivers;
- Establish and maintain monitoring and control systems for all spare parts, lubricants, consumables and tyres issued and their proper utilization;
- Maintain liaison with relevant WFP units and service providers/suppliers with respect to the status of procurement, delivery, financial and insurance matters;
- Verify accuracy and completeness of all invoices and clear them for further processing and payment;
- Ensure that comprehensive lists of necessary spare parts to be purchased are prepared in a timely manner and accurate records of all items used are always maintained;
- Report on all works carried out related to WFP vehicles;
- Formulate and monitor budget allocations for WFP fleet management purposes;
- Ensure that financial data is timely collected, analyzed and entered correctly in WFP corporate system(s); Analyze and resolve discrepancies/irregularities and bring to the attention of the supervisor complex issues;
- Analyze all expenditures and recommend potential areas of cost reduction and/or recovery where possible;
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual reports as required;
- Ensure the efficient maintenance of workshop(s) and proper use of WFP vehicles and other related equipment;
- Provide overall supervision, training and guidance for staff as required;
- Follow up WFP policies and procedures;
- Perform other related duties as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in its own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within your own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Business Support Services & Reporting – Applies strong ability to identify country-level requirements and develop customer-focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.
- Resource Management – Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
- Internal Controls & Risk Management – Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.
- Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services – Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in the area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.
- Customer Focus – Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of a High School Graduate Diploma/ Secondary School Education, supplemented by vocational training programme in automotive service technology or relevant mechanical/technical trainings.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record for commercial and light vehicles is a requirement.
- Language: Fluency in both Oral and Written communication in English language. Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri language is also considered an asset.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Experience utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other software packages in support of fleet management.
- Ability to read and study technical manuals.
- Good knowledge of how vehicles work and how various parts of the vehicle interact with each other; Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in commercial and light vehicle fleet management support or progressively responsible experience as senior mechanic in a workshop.
- At least one year at G5 level or equivalent.
- The selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
Deadline: 12th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
- WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job.
- Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills.